Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2023 HomePod in Select Countries

Apple recently started selling refurbished second-generation HomePod models for the first time in select countries, including the U.K., Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and others. Availability has yet to expand to the U.S., but the product listing is already visible.

HomePod 2 White and Midnight Feature Blue Orange
Prices are discounted by approximately 15% compared to a brand new HomePod. In the U.K., for example, a refurbished HomePod costs £249, down from £299. In the U.S., a refurbished HomePod will cost $249, down from $299.

Apple says its certified refurbished HomePods undergo full functionality testing, and they are inspected, cleaned, and repackaged in a plain white box with the power cord and documentation. The refurbished HomePods are covered by Apple's limited one-year warranty policy, and they are eligible for extended AppleCare+ coverage.

Released in January 2023, the second-generation HomePod has a similar design as the original HomePod that was discontinued in 2021, but with a larger backlit touch surface, two fewer tweeters, two fewer microphones, and a few other changes. For more details about the speaker, read our HomePod roundup.

Related Roundup: HomePod
Buyer's Guide: HomePod (Buy Now)

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

Expos of 1969 Avatar

We share similar thoughts. Apple Refurbished is where we differ. Solid quality, like new, and you can get Apple care on it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from the Apple Refurbished Store.

P.S. I would never buy a used car or a used house.
A used house? In many cases older houses were built better than the ones built today.
coachgq Avatar

In my 73 years I’ve been burned several times by “open box”, “refurbished”, “used” products including automobiles. We only buy new automobiles at this point in life as we don’t want to inherit the problems and abuse of prior owners. I only buy my Apple gear directly from Apple (store or online) and don't mind paying the extra dollars for peace of mind. But that’s just me.

Have you ever been burned by apple refurbished? I’ve bought many things and had no issues.
dbc34 Avatar
I just bought open box at Best Buy when they were about a month old for $229 each.
lkrupp Avatar
macmac30 Avatar
I sure hope Apple gets their act together with these HomePods. I have two OGs, two new large HomePods and 4 HomePod Minis. Siri is flippin' stupid. Even my wife, who doesn't pay a lot of attention to tech, is frustrated beyond belief. You ask Siri to play music, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You ask Siri to play your favorites and she can't. Once music is playing, it often stops for no reason after 5, 10, 20 minutes. I was cooking last night and wanted to turn down the music volume. I said "Siri, volume down." Siri replied "I'll speak softer." Apple, when someone is listening to music and they say "Siri, volume down" don't you think that in probably 99.9% of the cases they mean the music volume level and not how loudly Siri speaks??? WTF. The friction with this solution is unbearable sometimes!!! I know we are long past the "What would Steve do" phase, but I have to believe if he were still alive, we wouldn't be in such a miserable state with Siri on HomePods. I wish some Apple leader would step up and fix this mess once and for all!
Unggoy Murderer Avatar

I got my OG HomePods brand new for £229 each in a pre-Christmas sale one time. Was a damn good deal!

Still going strong too, and I'm convinced iOS 17 fixed some audio issues I've been having for like two years.