Apple Releases Third Public Betas of iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5
Apple today seeded the third betas of upcoming iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 updates to public beta testers, allowing non-developers to test out the software head of its official launch. The third public betas come two weeks after the second public betas, and a day after Apple provided the betas to developers.
Those who have signed up their accounts for Apple's free beta testing program can enable the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to General, selecting Software Update, tapping on Beta Updates, and selecting the iOS 16 Public Beta option.
iOS 16.5 appears to be a relatively minor update, and few changes were found in the first developer beta. There is a new Sports tab located in the Apple News app, and Siri can now be asked to start a screen recording.
Development on iOS 16 is slowing down as Apple prepares for the upcoming June debut of iOS 17, the next-generation version of iOS.
Top Rated Comments
* iOS 16.5 beta 3 (20F5050f) - April 25, 2023
* iPadOS 16.5 beta 3 (20F5050f) - April 25, 2023
* macOS 13.4 beta 3 (22F5049e) - April 25, 2023
* watchOS 9.5 beta 3 (20T5549e) - April 25, 2023
* tvOS 16.5 beta 3 (20L5549e) - April 25, 2023
[SPOILER="iOS & iPadOS 16.5 Beta 3 Release Notes"]
[HEADING=3]New Features ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-ipados-16_5-release-notes#New-Features')[/HEADING]
* A shared administrator in a home is now able to pair and add Matter accessories. (106449382)
[HEADING=3]Resolved Issues ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-ipados-16_5-release-notes#Resolved-Issues')[/HEADING]
* Fixed: When a manual software update is attempted on a Matter accessory with an available update, Home might not indicate that the update has been requested and continue to indicate an update is available. (104902918)
* Fixed: Accessory paring by shared administrators will fail if Home hubs are running versions prior than tvOS 16.5 beta. (105204882)
* Fixed: Software updates for Matter accessories might be offered again even though the update already completed successfully. (106768113)
* Fixed: Shared administrators aren’t able to pair the first Matter accessory in a Home. (107073942)
If beta 1 and 2 didn't bother you this is just more of the same. RC likely next week
FWIW, I have turned it off in Settings > App Store, as I did not want anything to run in the background (RAM, battery, etc.)
I bet Apple are watching the foldables’ space quite closely, most likely learning from their competitors early mistakes, so they do not repeat them if/when they decide to enter into that category themselves.