Brydge today announced a new series of Vertical Docks for Apple's MacBook Pro line. The new products include reengineered Vertical Docks for previous generation MacBook Pro models (priced at $169.99), and brand new Vertical Docks for the 16-inch MacBook Pro and 13-inch MacBook Air.

new brydge 2
The Brydge Vertical Dock is a space-saving accessory that stores your Mac notebook in a vertical position. It includes two USB-C ports so you can charge your MacBook when placing it in the dock, or connect it to an external display.

The device also features intake and exhaust vents that move additional air to and from the MacBook's cooling system for heat management. When placing the MacBook in the dock, there's also a guided docking system for simple one-handed docking.

new brydge
The reengineered Vertical Docks for the 15-inch MacBook Pro (2016-2019) and 13-inch MacBook Pro (2016-2020) are available now for $169.99. The new Vertical Docks for the 16-inch MacBook Pro and 13-inch ‌MacBook Air‌ (2018-2020) will launch in October. You can register on Brydge's website to be notified when they are available.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Brydge. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Tag: Brydge

bigcat318 Avatar
Feels less like a premium product with BRYDGE tattooed on the side. The front logo is subtle, should have stuck with just that.
pointj Avatar
Surprised how many commenters are unfamiliar with the vertical docks (previously Henge, acquired by Brydge a few months ago). The vertical docks have been on the market for many years, and owners seem to swear by them.

Just actually received my Brydge vertical stand for my 13" MBP yesterday. Now wondering what was revised (I might give them a call in a bit).

I had a Henge dock for my 15" MBP for years and loved it. It made using my MBP as a desktop machine while at the office a much better of an experience. While I've utilized stands (such as the BookArc) in the past, not having to unplug cables just felt like a better solution.

While pricey, the cost can easily be justified by the convenience factor (for me).

As far as the heat comment: I've been using Apple notebooks in clamshell mode for two decades, no issues yet.
mattwolfmatt Avatar

Has MacRumors turned into The Onion?! :cool:

Does Brydge think it's April Fool's Day?!

Vertical position for portables?! Don't think so. LOL!

This is a product that will end badly — dropped laptops, stand knocked over, failed connections or ports, etc.

Class action lawsuits on the way!

Of course, the ancient Romans were right:

De gustibus non est disputandum!
This is not the first vertical MacBook dock. I’ve used one for years with no issues. Is it really that novel to think someone might use a laptop on a desk?
Apple Macintosh 128K Avatar

I wonder if there’s any long term screen damage from heat when running a MBP closed. ?
Laptops have been designed to run while closed for years and years. I've never experienced such damage from doing so.
Btaylor_prod Avatar
dscottj431 Avatar
Lots of typical MR forum hate from people who either don't own the product, are cheap, or particular.

I've used this design and the previous one for years with no issues whatsoever. This version is more reliable since the ports are fixed instead of attached via set screws. If you "missed" a dock with the previous version it'd push the connectors down and then things wouldn't connect right until you reset them.

I have seen no issues with screen damage due to heat, and I've used these docks for seven years. They do not block any vents, and the air goes sideways-then-up, instead of up through the chassis as it would if you were using the cheaper / simpler metal docks with the back end on the bottom. Point-by-point:

* Using this with an MBP 16 and a problematic internal microphone: Use a headset.
* Reduces ports: Nope. Duplicates the two it uses. Does not reduce. -1.
* Executive jewelry: It's for a Mac. Duh.
* Scratches the ports: If you're wanting to maximize your resale value by keeping it absolutely pristine, yup, this isn't for you. I like the convenience better than the resale value, and my ports work fine with slight scratches that are only visible when I'm really looking for them.
* A simpler laptop stand works just as well: True, to a point. With other designs you have to manually connect/disconnect cables each time you use it. That introduces wear & scratches too. Is this dock worth the premium? It's for a Mac. Duh.
* A built-in fan would definitely be new, but I don't see any indication of that on their website. It has vents, not fans.

I like them because they look cool, work well, and provide clean, easy connects and disconnects from my peripherals.

Mac people complaining about overpriced peripherals makes me smile.