App Recap: Bookly, Sepnia, Watch to 5K and Major App Updates
In this week's App Recap, we've highlighted books app "Bookly," productivity app "Sepnia," and health and fitness app "Watch to 5K" as three apps that are worth checking out. We've also compiled a list of apps that received major updates this week.
Apps to Check Out
- Bookly (iOS, Free) - Bookly is an app that promotes making reading a habit through a reading timer, achievements, and detailed statistics that include both weekly and monthly progress reports. Users also have the ability to set goals and reminders to help stay on track. Bookly intelligently calculates how long it will take for users to finish the text based on their current pace. Although Bookly is free to download, users looking to get the most out of the app can subscribe to Bookly Pro, which includes tracking for an unlimited number of books, iCloud support, and more. Bookly Pro is available in one month, six month, and 12 month subscription options priced at $4.99, $19.99, and $29.99 respectively or a one-time upgrade of $49.99.
- Sepnia (iOS, Free) - Productivity app Sepnia lets users combine calendars and todo lists in a simple manner. Users can add and schedule both tasks and reminders to help organize day-to-day events. Sepnia conveniently displays the exact time remaining until it's time to begin the next task at hand, which can be helpful with managing a busy schedule. Although the app is free to download, the ability to add notes to tasks, manage categories, create routines, and add an unlimited number of actions is limited to subscribers of Sepnia's pro version, which is priced at $1.99 per month with a seven day initial free trial.
- Watch to 5K - Running Program (watchOS, $2.99) - Watch to 5K is a fitness app that can be used to coach users up to running a 5K in just nine weeks by following the Couch to 5K program. The app works with music and podcasts playing in the background and will intelligently lower the volume as run progress updates are pushed to the user. Aside from being able to track distance, calories, heart rate, and average speed, Watch to 5K will store run sessions in the Health app on the Apple Watch's paired iPhone. The app also encourages users to stay motivated with progress tracking and trophies that are awarded when runs are completed.
- BMW Connected - The BMW Connected app was updated this week with the ability to add a BMW Digital Key to the Wallet app on an iPhone. Users with a proper vehicle and device running compatible software will be able to lock and unlock the car by holding their iPhone up to the door handle. An iPhone can also be used to start the vehicle when placed in its smartphone tray.
- Pocketdex for Pokémon GO - Popular Pokémon GO companion app Pocketdex recently received a new update with the addition of the Raids tab that allows users to see raid bosses that are currently available. Additionally, users can receive notifications when raid bosses change. The app's new IV Scanner will intelligently scan Pokémon splash screens in the Pokémon GO app to obtain the exact IV of users' Pokémon, which will consequently send a push notification from Pocketdex with Pokémon information.
- WhatsApp - WhatsApp this week announced a new update that brings both the ability to scan contacts using a QR code and Dark Mode support for the app's web and Mac versions. The update also introduces several new video call improvements, animated sticker packs, and more.
Know of a great new app that we've missed? Let us know in the comments and we'll check it out for next week's App Recap.
We've seen a lot of teasers about the Beats Studio Buds over the past month since they first showed up in Apple's beta software updates, and today they're finally official. The Beats Studio Buds are available to order today in red, white, and black ahead of a June 24 ship date, and they're priced at $149.99.
The Studio Buds are the first Beats-branded earbuds to truly compete with AirPods...
Apple is enhancing AirTags security to prevent stalking using the Bluetooth devices, Apple told CNET today. Apple is already sending out over-the-air updates to AirTags that will shorten the amount of time before an unknown AirTag alerts you if it is in your possession.
At the current time, AirTags play a sound after three days of being away from their owner. After the update, AirTags will...
Apple this week released iOS 12.4, the newest version of iOS 12 available for iPhones and iPads. One of the new features in iOS 12.4 is an updated data migration option that uses device to device transfers rather than relying on iCloud.
Apple didn't provide much information on the new data migration feature, so we thought we'd check it out in our latest YouTube video.
Subscribe to the ...
YouTube is planning to stop supporting its YouTube app on the third-generation Apple TV models, where YouTube has long been available as a channel option.
A 9to5Mac reader received a message about the upcoming app discontinuation, which is set to take place in March.Starting early March, the YouTube app will no longer be available on Apple TV (3rd generation). You can still watch YouTube on...
Apple has shared a new support document that indicates kernel extensions — which it calls "legacy system extensions" — will not be compatible with a future version of macOS because they "aren't as secure or reliable as modern alternatives."System extensions are a category of software that works in the background to extend the functionality of your Mac. Some apps install kernel extensions, which...
Apple recently dropped the $19.99 fee for OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, making the older Mac updates free to download, reports Macworld.
Apple has kept OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion available for customers who have machines limited to the older software, but until recently, Apple was charging $19.99 to get download codes for the updates.
As of last week, these updates no...
Apple's long-awaited AirTag was finally unveiled today, and as expected, the small circle-shaped accessories can be attached to items like wallets, keys, and more to allow them to be tracked in the Find My app.
As was rumored ahead of release, each AirTag is equipped with a U1 chip, and on devices that also have U1 chips, there's a Precision Finding feature.
U1 Ultra Wideband chips are...
Apple released the sixth beta of iOS 15 just a week after the fifth beta, but the new update brings some of the most significant tweaks that we've seen to iOS 15 during the beta testing period.
Apple in iOS 15 beta 6 has added a toggle to move the Safari address bar to the top of the interface, which returns Safari to an iOS 14-like design and mitigates all of the Safari...
Apple will release a new version of the MacBook Air around the middle of 2022, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in note to investors seen by MacRumors.
The upcoming MacBook Air will feature a 13.3-inch mini-LED display, which would make it the second Mac to gain mini-LED technology after the 2021 MacBook Pro, which is rumored to include a mini-LED display and is expected to launch later ...
Another class-action complaint has been lodged against Apple, which claims that the company was aware of a MacBook Pro design flaw that caused some devices to have backlight display issues (via Apple Insider).
The so-called "flexgate" problem was present in some MacBook Pro models manufactured between 2016 and 2017. The problem appears as dark patches along the bottom of the MacBook Pro's...