Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I Do Think Price is a Factor' in Declining iPhone Upgrades

During today's earnings call for the first fiscal quarter of 2019, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked whether he thought that the pricing of the iPhone XR, XS, and iPhone XS Max was too high.

In response, Cook said that while he didn't feel that was as much of a factor in the United States, it was an issue in emerging markets.

iphonexr
The ‌iPhone‌ XS is priced the same as the ‌iPhone‌ X at $999, while the ‌iPhone‌ XS Max, a new device, was $100 more. The XR, at $749, was priced to be right in the middle of the entry level ‌iPhone‌ 8 and ‌iPhone‌ 8 Plus models. Cook said that's a "pretty small difference in the United States compared to last year."

In emerging markets, however, ‌iPhone‌ pricing was an issue due to the strength of the dollar. Foreign exchange rates amplified the pricing increases leading to weaker sales. Cook says that in January, in some locations, the company has absorbed all or part of the currency movements compared to a year ago, getting closer to local price compared to a year ago.

Cook in an interview with Reuters earlier today said that Apple is lowering iPhone prices in some emerging markets.

In developed markets, like Japan, a lack of subsidies has also become a major factor. Even in the U.S., where subsidies have been phased out for several years, Cook said that a person who last purchased an ‌iPhone‌ 6 or 6s for $199 when subsidies were still in place may be reluctant to upgrade to a device that costs upwards of $749 without subsidies.

Apple is working to address the subsidy issue with trade-ins and installment payments.

Cook in a separate statement said all of Apple's devices are designed to last. "We do design our products to last as long as possible," he said. Some customers choose to hold on to those products for as long as possible, while some trade them in. Apple's product cycle has indeed extended and upgrades were less than anticipated last quarter, but Cook says he doesn't know where that will go in the future.

"I'm convinced that making a great product that is high quality is the best thing for the customer. That's the way we look at it."

Top Rated Comments

Mac Fly (film) Avatar
30 months ago
“Small difference” to a near-billionaire? It’s a deciding factor is all markets—just not amongst your friend’s rich kids, Tim.

Oh and btw, “compared to last year”... Hahahahaaaaa. Yeah, last year you were giving them away, weren’t you. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving company.


Greedy elitist bastards. Karma’s a bitch.
Score: 83 Votes (Like | Disagree)
raindogg Avatar
30 months ago
Hate to break it to you, Mr. Cook. But it's 80% of the reason I switched to Samsung. The other 20% is the headphone jack.
Score: 72 Votes (Like | Disagree)
DrJohnnyN Avatar
30 months ago
Well, duh. The deciding factor for many.
Score: 69 Votes (Like | Disagree)
Hiran Avatar
30 months ago
To me it is not the biggest factor. I just don't like too freaking large phones. That's why I use an iPhone SE. I was hoping for a new iPhone SE with face ID and other new features. But they want an iPad in my pocket. No way dude.
Score: 61 Votes (Like | Disagree)
bladerunner2000 Avatar
30 months ago
Tim Cook is so out of touch, it's embarrassing. How is this guy still Apple's CEO?
[doublepost=1548803389][/doublepost]
Hate to break it to you, Mr. Cook. But it's 80% of the reason I switched to Samsung. The other 20% is the headphone jack.
100% with you on that.
Score: 51 Votes (Like | Disagree)
Woodcrest64 Avatar
30 months ago
I hope he isn’t realizing this now…

Attachment Image
Score: 49 Votes (Like | Disagree)

Top Stories

2021 mbp hdmi slot 3d

2021 MacBook Pro Leaks Confirm Returning MagSafe and Ports

Friday May 14, 2021 3:06 am PDT by
Apple's upcoming MacBook Pro models are expected to feature a number of major changes such as larger display options and powerful new Apple silicon chips. Among the more surprising updates to this year's MacBook Pro models is the return of three ports that have been missing from the machines for over five years. Expected to come in 14- and 16-inch sizes, the 2021 MacBook Pro models are...
General Music and AirPod 3 Feature

Rumor: Apple to Announce Third-Generation AirPods and HiFi Apple Music Tier on May 18

Thursday May 13, 2021 10:32 pm PDT by
A new rumor suggests that Apple will announce the third-generation AirPods and the recently rumored HiFi, or high-fidelity Apple Music tier, on Tuesday, May 18, via a press release on its website. The new rumor comes from Apple YouTuber Luke Miani who shared the alleged exclusive news with the AppleTrack website. According to the YouTuber, Apple plans to release the next-generation AirPods...
m1 ipad pro early customer

M1 iPad Pro Arrives Early for Lucky Customer

Saturday May 15, 2021 11:57 pm PDT by
Days ahead of their expected launch and seemingly before official review embargoes lift, one lucky customer has already gotten their hands on the brand new 12.9-inch M1 iPad Pro. Reddit User PeterDragon50 Posted on Reddit, u/PeterDragon50 has already received their 12.9-inch iPad Pro through retailer Nebraska Furniture Mart. The Reddit user says they placed their order when pre-orders...
Twitter Feature

Twitter's 'Blue' Subscription Service May Cost $2.99, Will Offer Undo Tweet Option

Saturday May 15, 2021 11:08 am PDT by
Twitter has been working on some kind of subscription service since last summer, and Jane Manchun Wong, who often digs into new features coming in apps, has shared details on just what Twitter is exploring. Twitter's subscription service could be called Twitter Blue, and at the current time, it's priced at $2.99 per month. There will be a "Collections" section that allows users to save and...
magic mouse space gray discontinued

Apple Discontinuing Space Gray Mac Accessories Now That iMac Pro is Dead

Friday May 14, 2021 11:52 am PDT by
Following the discontinuation of the iMac Pro, Apple also appears to be discontinuing Space Gray "Magic" accessories that it sold separately alongside the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro was the only Space Gray Mac, and Apple designed special matching accessories for it. The Space Gray Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad all now say "While supplies last" in small wording at the bottom...
tile amazon sidewalk integration

Apple Says Tile Trackers Sold Poorly in Apple Stores

Friday May 14, 2021 4:53 am PDT by
Earlier last month, Spotify, Tile, and Match (owner of Tinder), testified at an app store antitrust hearing spearheaded by the U.S. Senate. During the hearing, Spotify called Apple's App Store "an abusive power grab," while Tile said Apple uses its platform to "unfairly limit competition for its products." Now, in response to their testimonies, Apple's vice president and chief compliance...
apple music change forever

Apple Music Teaser: 'Get Ready – Music is About to Change Forever'

Sunday May 16, 2021 2:39 pm PDT by
The Browse tab in the Music app across Apple's platforms has started displaying a prominent teaser hinting at an upcoming major announcement for Apple Music. Under the heading "Coming soon," the headline says "Get ready – music is about to change forever." An accompanying "Tune-In Video" simply shows an animated Apple Music logo. Rumors have indicated that Apple is preparing to launch a...
Top Stories 60 Feature

Top Stories: M1 iMac Benchmarks, iPhone Battery Life Tips, Colorful MacBook Air?

Saturday May 15, 2021 6:00 am PDT by
Anticipation is building for the new iMac and iPad Pro models, which have started shipping out ahead of a launch around May 21. Benchmarks for the new machines are starting to come in, and the M1 chips inside of them are registering at around the same figures seen with other M1-based Macs, making for significant upgrades over previous-generation models. This week also saw some rumors about...
syng cell alpha

Longtime Apple Designer Christopher Stringer's Latest Project Is a High-Fidelity Speaker With AirPlay 2

Friday May 14, 2021 7:30 am PDT by
Christopher Stringer, a key member of Jony Ive's design team who spent 21 years at Apple before departing in 2017, is resurfacing today with his new venture Syng, which seeks to make an impact in the high-end audio market. Stringer, who contributed to many of the most iconic product designs in Apple's history, announced his plans roughly a year ago, and Syng is today introducing its flagship ...
google photos

PSA: Google Photos Unlimited Storage Ends Next Month, Here's How to Export Your Pictures to iCloud

Thursday May 13, 2021 5:26 am PDT by
For as long as it's existed, Google Photos has offered free unlimited storage for uploading images at a reduced yet good enough quality for most users. From June 1, 2021, however, all photos and videos uploaded to Google accounts will count against users' cloud storage. If you've been relying on Google to back up your media library, it may be time to move that content elsewhere. This article...