New in OS X: Get MacRumors Push Notifications on your Mac

Resubscribe Now Close

Apple Devices Running iOS 13 Spotted in Analytics

Apple is already working on the next-generation version of iOS, iOS 13. Based on visits to the MacRumors website from Apple IP addresses on devices running iOS 13, work on the update has been picking up over the course of the last few months.

We first spotted devices running iOS 13 in October, and in November and December, visits from iPhones with iOS 13 installed have increased. Visits slowed during late December, but should pick up again now that the holidays are over and work is continuing.


Apple often starts work on new versions of iOS many months in advance, and we've already learned some details about what we can expect in iOS 13. There were several iOS 12 features that were delayed to allow Apple to work on bug fixes and other under-the-hood improvements, and we're expecting to see these delayed features introduced in iOS 13.

Rumors have suggested iOS 13 will include new features aimed at iPad owners, such as a revamped Files app, in-app tabs for opening multiple windows of the same app, support for using the same app side-by-side in Split View multitasking mode, and more.

Other delayed iOS 12 features include a revamped Home screen app grid for the iPhone and iPad, and expanded photo management features.

More details on what we can expect to see in iOS 13 will undoubtedly leak out in the coming months as Apple continues to ramp up testing of the update.

MacRumors readers have shared a list of features that they're hoping to see introduced in iOS 13, including a Messages hub, dark mode, an option to hide or remove the Dock, settings to select default Mail, Maps, and Messages apps, and more. If you have iOS 13 features you're hoping for, feel free to share them on our forums.

Apple will give us a first look at iOS 13 when it hosts its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which, historically, has taken place during the first few weeks of June.

Related Roundups: WWDC 2019, iOS 13


Top Rated Comments

(View all)

11 weeks ago
Come one Apple ! Give us this dark mode !
Rating: 13 Votes
11 weeks ago
Turning the Files app into a full fledged file manager, flexible tabs and windowing, and comprehensive peripheral support would be my Wishlist for the iPad Pro.
Rating: 10 Votes
11 weeks ago
Hopefully it brings more innovation to the iPhone because iOS has been stale for way too long
Rating: 6 Votes
11 weeks ago
Can't wait for iOS 13. Let's hope since they delayed it, they've had time to iron out the bugs. The new home screen grid will be nice, and the iPad features in particular are welcomed as I use my 10.5 iPP all the time for school and often wish I could open two windows for the same app. I've always wondered why Apple built in so much performance to the iPad Pros then hamstrung them by not allowing more functionality.
Rating: 5 Votes
11 weeks ago
i have no major issues with iOS on iPhone. I mean its dated but I can do everything I need. On iPad the story is different...I just got new iPad Pro and the rumored updates in iOS 13 is a lipstick on the pig approach. It needs total revamp. The 6x4 grid is a joke on 12.9 iPad. The multitasking is horrific experience in 2019 and the lack of touchpad on the folio is a huge mistake IMHO. The iPad is such a promising technology, but while 6 or 7 years ago I could do 90% things on iPad and still needed laptop for the remaining 10% the situation in 2019 is exactly the same. That is not acceptable and shows lack of clear vision on the development front. The hardware runs circles around iOS12...
Rating: 5 Votes
11 weeks ago
Can you tell if those users recorded mouse input? :)
Rating: 4 Votes
11 weeks ago
iOS redesign is years overdue
Rating: 4 Votes
11 weeks ago
Guys, please!

Can we at least enjoy our current devices and iOS 12 until Easter?
Rating: 4 Votes
11 weeks ago
Interesting, they're already playing with it.

Second the dark mode for iOS option request - with OLED there can actually be some benefits (battery use) beyond the dark color palette, although I'm guessing they're small.
Rating: 4 Votes
11 weeks ago
They've almost certainly had an iOS 13 development branch open since before iOS 12 was finished, given that certain new features were shifted to it.
Rating: 2 Votes

[ Read All Comments ]