Featured Apps in Revamped iOS 11 App Store Can See 800% Download Boost

Earning a featured spot in the revamped iOS App Store can increase app downloads by up to 800 percent, according to new data sourced from app analytics site Sensor Tower and shared by TechCrunch.

The data, collected from September 2017 to the present, suggests an app that's highlighted using either the "App of the Day" or "Game of the Day" feature in the U.S. sees the greatest increase in downloads.

ios11appstoregameoftheday
Specifically, "Game of the Day" apps have seen a median download increase of 802 percent for the week following the feature, while "App of the Day" apps have seen a boost of 685 percent.

Other features, such as a developer story or an app list can increase downloads by up to 240 percent. Stories resulted in a 222 percent boost in downloads, while app lists increased downloads by 240 percent. A theme feature had the lowest impact at a 164 percent increase in downloads.

appstorefeatureddownloadincrease
Sensor Tower has also outlined what kind of data Apple has chosen to highlight through the new App Store design. Many of the top publishers that have been featured are larger companies, like Electronic Arts, Warner Bros., Square Enix, Gameloft, Noodlecake Studios, and King, which is unsurprising as these companies have put out some of the most popular apps in the App Store.

13 of the top 15 featured publishers had at least one million U.S. iPhone downloads since the launch of the new App Store.

publishersbyfeature
Apple has, however, also focused on highlighting indie apps. 29 percent of apps featured since the launch of the new App Store have been from publishers who had fewer than 10,000 downloads at the time.

"While it's clearly the case that big publishers are more likely to receive the largest number of features, small publishers still very much have their chance to benefit from a feature on the App Store," said Sensor Tower's Mobile Insights Analyst, Jonathan Briskman.

Apple introduced the redesigned App Store in iOS 11 to offer additional opportunities for exposure to app developers. The new App Store includes a "Today" section that's updated daily with app suggestions, featured spots, app lists, developer features, and more, and it splits apps and games into two distinct categories.

Content featured in the new App Store is chosen and curated by Apple's App Store editorial team, which ensures high-quality recommendations that don't rely solely on popularity rankings.

As noted by TechCrunch, Sensor Tower's data suggests that Apple's goal of increasing developer exposure through the new App Store design has largely been a successful venture.

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
iPhone 16 Pro Front Update Blue

iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

Wednesday July 10, 2024 3:57 am PDT by
Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China. Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge...
prime day series 9

The Best Early Amazon Prime Day Deals on Apple Watch

Thursday July 11, 2024 8:11 am PDT by
Amazon Prime Day is just a few days away, but you can already get all-time low prices on multiple Apple Watch models right now. As with all early deals, there is a chance that these Apple Watch discounts get even steeper when Prime Day officially kicks off on July 16, but for right now they're still great discounts on each model. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you...

Cosmosent Avatar
This illustrates two EXTREMELY important points:

1.) that Apple continues to have a Complete Stranglehold on App Discovery !, &

2.) that the iOS App Store is still catastrophically broken ... especially their Rankings algorithm !

Users should be able to Discovery apps they are interested in "On Their Own," NOT via Apple's decisions !!!

Users should have control options for filtering apps, based-upon their own criteria ... e.g., Rank apps ONLY via new Ratings within the past 1-2 weeks.

It's NOT Rocket Science, but for whatever Reason, Apple refuses to fix the problems ! ... and they are very easily fixed.
flyinmac Avatar
I don’t pay attention to the featured apps. Or anything that comes up on the opening page.

If I’m in the App Store, it’s because I need something. I don’t just browse to see what’s there. I’m only there if I have a need for something, and then I’m straight into the search tool.

In the early days when I was curious what there was (talking way early days in the first few years of iPhones)... I used to go browse by category and free within categories.

But honestly, these days I find apps to be mostly unnecessary. Of course there are my daily use apps for email, internet, and messages. But beyond that, I find that most apps are recreational. And I don’t use my phone for games. And, I don’t care to spend money on things that I don’t need. So an app has to be absolutely necessary to accomplish a task that I need, before I’ll even start looking for it.
itsmilo Avatar
I am so shallow when it comes to Apps. If the app icon already doesn’t please me I don’t even look any further
berrymetal Avatar
Great so in case one of my apps gets featured, it'll get around 800 downloads based on its current sales
v0lume4 Avatar
That's really impressive.

Genuinely curious -- do most people download new apps these days? I rarely do. And if so, it'll be an app that I search for directly.

I remember seeing a stat about a year ago that showed that most people (it was like 80% or something) use the same ~8 or so apps.
Christoffee Avatar
Put a link to your app in your signature.