Smart home company LEDVANCE today announced the Sylvania Smart Multicolor A19 bulb, a HomeKit-enabled Wi-Fi smart light that users can control through Siri and the new Home app without the need of a separate hub. Because there's no hub installation, all users have to do is screw in the bulb into a light source and sync it with HomeKit to begin controlling the Sylvania lights.

The hub-free system works when users are both inside and outside of their home. When away, Sylvania bulbs sync with a connected Apple TV or iOS 10-enabled iPad as a hub for the smart home so users can keep checking in on and controlling the lights from afar.

sylvania-logo

“For more than a century, consumers have looked to the brand SYLVANIA for innovation, and this announcement represents another exciting advancement,” said Aaron Ganick, who heads up the Smart Home Americas group at LEDVANCE. “For us, making the Smart Home a reality for consumers is all about quality products and strong partnerships with leaders in the industry.

By working with Apple to provide smart lighting that works directly with the Home app, we’re making it easier for Apple enthusiasts to seamlessly integrate quality lighting into their Smart Home, bringing convenience and simplicity to their daily lives.”

The company said there's also the ability to set scenes and activities in combination with other HomeKit devices "to create custom experiences through the Home app." Users could, for example, set up a simple Siri phrase like, "I'm on my way home," to activate lights, unlock a door, and turn on the heat in the winter.

LEDVANCE currently sells a collection of smart home bulbs, but they all require hubs to function -- similar to Philips Hue -- and aren't HomeKit compatible. Beginning in 2017, the company hopes to expand its Apple-supported product line, beginning with the launch of the Sylvania A19 bulb on Amazon sometime early in the new year.

canny Avatar
Is there a list of devices that are compatible with all 3 main voice services - Alexa, Google Home, and HomeKit?

I want to have home automation, but I don't want to be stuck with Apple if Tim Cook is in charge.
friedmud Avatar
Personally: I _like_ having a hub! A hub brings flexibility and reliability.

For instance, I bought into Hue before it supported Homekit... then, when they released their Homekit enabled hub I was able to buy the new hub without disturbing the large number of instaalled lights that I have. Without the hub I would have most likely had to throw out all of my old lights and buy Homekit ones.

I'm also getting ready to buy into the Homekit enabled Lutron Caseta system: for replacing some light switches that control lights I can't replace with Hue. Again, it has a hub... and again, that system has shown that you can upgrade the hub without having to update your installed hardware as new smart home standards come out.

Similarly: I also use Logitech's Harmony system for all of my TVs. Those hubs have proven to be very upgradeable over the years.... allowing my TV remote to control all the other smart devices in my house (bulbs, switches, thermostats...).

In addition, I find that the smart home devices that use always on, always connected hubs on wifi are more reliable. Any of the bluetooth connected Homekit stuff is garbage. In addition, I have several Homekit/wifi plugs that don't use a hub and they are way less reliable than any of my hub based smart home gesr.

Basically: long live the hub! If you're serious about smart home stuff the hubs are the way to go.
wonderspark Avatar
By all means, let's fight over two systems that work nicely for two different people. There can be only one!
Zirel Avatar

It's not Apple's fault if Amazon, Google and Microsoft don't have a compelling alternative.

Samsung has its "SmartThings", but it's designed to boost Samsung appliances, of course.

There's no "HomeKit" for Android, deal with it.
steve knight Avatar
Heat tape?
You put on your pipes to warm them to keep them from freezing.
Zirel Avatar
smartthigns controls a huge variety of items. I have been using it for two years now and it automates my home well. still better then home kit overall. so far home kit is way too limited for me and requires upgrading everything but hue.
No, it's not better than HomeKit.

Is that a joke?

HomeKit is much superior to SmarThings and has more compatibility.