Apple Music Licensing Deals Include Permissions for Additional Beats Radio Stations

Apple's licensing terms with record labels give the company permission to create up to five additional radio stations like Beats 1, reports The Verge, citing sources with knowledge of Apple's deals. Without needing to negotiate new terms, Apple could potentially launch additional Beats stations around the world, adding DJs in other countries or launching stations with a specific focus.

As part of the deal it struck with the major labels for Apple Music Radio, Apple has licenses for up to five additional stations like Beats 1, without having to renegotiate with the labels. That means Apple could launch a Beats 2 station headquartered in Australia or Asia, allowing it to provide live radio around the clock (Beats 1 is only live 12 hours a day).

It seems Apple is indeed considering and preparing for a potential expansion Beats 1 with new Beats radio stations, as the company has registered domains like beats2.com.cn, beats2.hk, and beats4.com.ru in various countries around the world. Beats 1 is broadcast worldwide, but in the future, Apple may wish to offer stations that cater to different languages and music tastes around the world.

beats1radiostations
Labels may have given Apple permission to create additional radio stations due to the fact that Apple is allegedly paying more per-play than Pandora for music that is streamed on Beats 1.

The Verge's sources also commented on the status of Apple Music, stating that labels are "pretty pleased" with Apple Music's performance thus far and that the service has gained a "substantial" number of users since it launched on June 30. Of course, all Apple Music subscribers right now have free access to the service until October, so it's still impossible to gauge how Apple Music measures up to competing services like Spotify.

As of this month, Apple has initiated a major advertising campaign for Apple Music, with billboards and signage popping up in cities around the world like San Francisco, Tokyo, Toronto, Los Angeles, and Mexico City, which should bump up subscriber numbers.

Apple has also maintained momentum with its Beats 1 radio station through a series of exclusive song releases and interviews with artists. Most recently, Beats 1 scored an exclusive with MTV, with the network using the platform to announce the 2015 Video Music Award nominees.

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

Mike MA Avatar
Hopefully it'll include one station not playing that much hip-hop.
ghostface147 Avatar
This is what beats 1 needs, more stations. Most of the stuff played isn't my kind of music. Classic rock, metal, alternative....that's more my type.
HiVolt Avatar
Hopefully it'll include one station not playing that much hip-hop.
Amen to that. I tried to listen to Beats 1 on a number of occasions, and there's definitely too much hip hop/gangsta rap type of "music" that I detest.

I'm honestly surprised that Apple, which is fairly conservative in its public image, is choosing to play that much stuff like that.
thekeyring Avatar
Why name it Beats 1 when there's no Beats 2?

When I was younger (around 13) I phoned Virgin Media and asked them why they named a channel Virgin 1 when there was no Virgin 2. Thank goodness I met my girlfriend and she made me somewhat less nerdy.
jlseattle Avatar
I'm worried that Apple bordering on becoming maker of many things but master of none. I hope that doesn't happen. They have a great computer market and phone market. But at some point they can't keep all the plates spinning in the sky and move it all forward. Or maybe they can..
Thunderhawks Avatar
My first was an Apple II back in the late 70's. So it is my age too.

I am still the owning type versus the renting type. I like something, I buy it, and I don't ever have to pay again - music, software, whatever.

As for the future, it is unfortunate that Apple wasn't able to change the industry. The reality is that it still has so many layers between the artist and the customer that the artist does not see much of the revenue generated by the music they created. What is needed is something like the app store where an artist can post their songs and sell directly with only apple to collect their required 30%. No Agents. No Labels. No Promoters. Eventually, they will need someone to book gigs and other stuff, but it would allow for new artist a way to get out there and get noticed.

Right now, Apple gets the money and then pays the labels, and money disappears from that point onwards.
After converting my albums (about 600 plus, actually not the biggest collection) by buying the CD versions of them and paying again for that and having moved the boxes I keep them in soooooo many times, I am now trying to get rid of everything one has to carry:-)
Probably another age thing.
Kids grown up and out of the house I can now do with just some clothes, internet, iPhone, iPad and my MBP and a large size TV.
Food and a car, done.
My music on the iPhone or Spotify (free subscription) and Pandora. I'll live with the ads.
SiriusXM for Howard (except he is almost never there any more and probably won't renew)

Many people realize very late that accumulating stuff is not the way to go as one gets older.
Getting rid of stuff is actually harder. LOL.