AgileBits this morning announced that an incoming update to its popular password-managing app 1Password will include an Apple Watch version of the service, providing users an even easier way to manage and easily remember their most important passwords.

watch-locker-use-case
Like most upcoming Apple Watch apps, 1Password's wrist-worn counterpart will act as a companion to the traditional full-fledged iPhone app. AgileBits, the app's creator, hopes that the location of the Watch on a user's wrist, versus reaching for an iPhone, provides more ease-of-use in accessing the app for an oft-forgotten password.

You don’t need to be an intrepid inspector (or a precocious crime-solver in pigtails) to appreciate the awesomeness of having 1Password on your wrist. 1Password for Apple Watch helps you find the little pieces of secret info you need every day, quickly and easily. If you need the code to open your garage door, one of your one-time passwords, or to look up your credit card number while phoning in an order for pizza, 1Password is right there for you.

In addition to preparing for an Apple Watch app, the 1Password 5.4 update offers fans of the service a few new features, including a "mark all as read" button in the Message Center, a toggle to remove the unread badge from the settings tabs, and other basic bug fixes.

1Password can be downloaded on the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: MacRumors has discovered that for users to experience password managing on Apple Watch, they will have to upgrade to the $9.99 1Password Pro option within the free-to-download base app first.

1password watch

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 9
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)

RDeckard Avatar

Right now, there's no reason to buy one, especially when the required to use iPhone is in your pocket less than 2 feet away. Unless you're so incredibly lazy you can't be bothered to get up from your desk and go get it from the charger (assuming your charger is not on your desk).

I'd rather save the $349+ and pull my phone out of my pocket :)
IKR?!?!

Why would I want a TV remote when I can just walk over to the TV and change the channel? Lazy!

Why would I need a TiVo/DVR when I have a perfectly good VCR? Dumb!

Why would I need a microwave when I have an awesome oven? Lazy!

Why would I even need an oven when I can make a fire just fine? No fire-making skills!

Why would I need a *remote* garage door opener when I can get out of my car and just open the garage? I don't care if it's raining! Lazy!

Why do I need a cell phone when there are payphones on every corner??? Duh!

Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Dumb people!!!

PS> AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
andrea81 Avatar
Sadly these are all things one is able to do *right now* by simply opening up their 1password application on their iPhone.

...but there are tons of contexts where it's more convenient to do it on the watch.

It's just "iPad is just a giant iPhone" all over again :rolleyes:
Pupi Avatar

I'd rather save the $349+ and pull my phone out of my pocket :)
What if the phone is actually inside the gym locker ;)
anzio Avatar
In a year or two, the -Watch will be a very nice device with niche applications. Right now, there's no reason to buy one

You forgot to add "in my opinion." According to the shipping estimates, a large amount of other people found some reasons.
Nyguy76 Avatar
Am I right in thinking that this app does what Safari and keychain already do?
Or am I wrong? It wouldn't be the first time :D

Safari keychain doesn't prompt to fill passwords on many websites plus it doesn't work for apps, android, or windows. You are better off using something like 1password in addition to safari keychain
Revearti Avatar
Wendy goes to the gym every month or two if she can't remember her locker combination. ;)