Apple is to move its Tokyo HQ from the Shinjuku district to a $2.2 billion development in the more central area of Roppongi Hills, reports Bloomberg.

tokyo
Apple is said to be planning to take one or two floors of the 54-story building, which is home to Goldman Sachs and Barclays. Roppongi Hills is one of Japan's largest integrated property developments, the complex including a Grand Hyatt hotel, art museum, movie theatre, private club and apartments.

“Rents of large office buildings in central Tokyo peaked in the second quarter of 2008 and have fallen 40 percent from the peak,” Kayoko Hirao, the head of Japan research at DTZ Research in Tokyo, said in a phone interview today. “It is a good time to consider an office relocation to the central business area and it should be a good chance for Apple. The office rental market will recover this year.”

Apple is terminating the lease of its current Tokyo Opera City Tower offices as of June, and is said to be moving into its new HQ as early as April.

Laird Knox Avatar
Google Maps? :D

Actually the real reason they are moving is because Apple Maps shows that this is where the office is located. They are just correcting that slight error in the map. :D
alia Avatar
Ugh, I hated walking around Roppongi at night... worst part of Tokyo for me. That said, I didn't spend much time in Roppongi - avoided it when I could, so I don't know much about Roppongi Hills. Hopefully it's not as creepy as the strip of crappy clubs and bars where people try to intimidate you into going into their establishments.
kasei Avatar
Roppongi Hills is really nice, but I never really liked the Roppongi area. Too many obnoxious non Japanese running around thinking they are the king of the world. They should have moved to Aoyama or Omotesando. Those are classy areas and fits Apple's image much better than Roppongi.
Moopy Sac Avatar
Perhaps a high level of crime for the Japanese but very safe for anyone used to living in western cities. The Nigerian muscle at the doors to some bars made me laugh when I was last there (some ten years back).

The Nigerian "muscle" aren't just bouncers. They are touts, pimps, drug dealers and shake down artists all wrapped into one.

But you are correct, Roppongi is generally safe compared to most places in the world. Two basic rules to avoid 99% of all problems:

1) Never go with a Nigerian to an establishment located in the second floor (or above) of a building. Safest bet is to just never go with a tout anywhere.

2) Never go to a second establishment suggested by a person (woman) that you just met that isn't Japanese. Particularly if they REALLY like you and they are (objectively) out of your league.

----------

Roppongi Hills is very nice, but I agree with your assessment of the rest of Roppongi. When ever I go back to visit I try to avoid Roppongi unless I am having dinner at the Oak Door.

The first choice piece of cow that place serves will be the first.

The bar, OTOH, can be the bees.
szw-mapple fan Avatar