3rd Generation iPad Launches Around the World
The 3rd Generation iPad continues to launch around the world to long lines in many locations. The iPad is launching in ten countries including the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK.
Paris was the most impressive line photo we received. This photo at approximately 10pm local time showed hundreds lined up at Apple's Store in Paris. (Thanks Matthew)
Houston's new Highland Village Apple Store is being unveiled overnight just in time for the iPad 3 launch. (Thanks Matthew)
The U.S. got an early launch at Wal-Mart stores which started selling at 12:01 AM local time. From the few reports we received, lines and stock were relatively small. (Thanks Lee)
Finally, despite launch day availability, there are scalpers in Hong Kong already, looking to take advantage of any short supply. (Thanks Andy)
Those who pre-ordered the new iPad early enough should start receiving them on Friday. The new iPad will also be available in Apple Retail, Wal-Mart as well as Verizon and AT&T stores.
Top Rated Comments
Got my new iPad this morning at Osaka, Japan Apple Store. I started queuing at 7AM and got to the counter to purchase at 8:50AM. Overall I'm pleased with the new iPad (upgraded from iPad 2), some noteworthy items from what I've found so far
* Voice dictation works very well overall. I spoke three full sentences and it converted to text perfectly. I think i'll use voice dictation instead of the keyboard in some instances (such as doing a quick google search)
* The new iPad feels noticeably heavier to me
* The screen is amazing when looking at it close or quite close. You can't tell the difference at arms length away. iBooks benefits from the retina disply greatly. I read a chapter of a book in full screen mode and it looks great. I'm looking foward to seeing some retina-display enabled magazines soon (WIRED especially)
* Speed of the device feels exactly the same as the iPad 2. no better and no worse.
* The back-facing camera is a LOT better. The pictures I took are a huge improvement over the iPad 2. I won't use the camera a lot - but I like having a higher quality cam for when I do want to use it.
Every time I pre-order an iProduct I swear that this time it will be different: I'm going to play it cool, just go about my business and be pleasantly surprised when it shows up. But without fail I obsess, compulsively track status, sleep badly the night before arrival, and dream of driving across town to meet the FedEx truck so I don't have to wait another 45 minutes for delivery.
"Hi, my name is Quitesure and I'm an Appleholic"
Oddly, though, critics are VERY harsh on anyone waiting in line for a tangible product while they say nothing about waiting in line for hours to see something that gives the purchaser nothing tangible to take home.
I AM NOT A NUMBER: I AM A FREE MAN!
I think the same thing about people who line up to buy music concert tickets. Have you ever done that? I'm one that pre-ordered but from what I read on these threads, waiting on these lines is an experience these people enjoy. Lighten up. Live and let live.
Although i would never wait on a line for any product or anything that is not a high priority for me, i disagre with people who have the tendency to judge other people for what thy do with their time or their money. I don't see how that concerns you or anyone else!!
I work pretty close to the Apple store in Manchester UK and when i started work this morning there was a long line, but no where as long as when the iPhone 4S was launched. So i decided to give them a call after 10 to see if there was still people on the Q and they told me the Q has just ended so i toke 5 minutes off and went to get one. They still had the 64GB white wi-fi only version, just what i wanted.
Had only done the initial set up so no much of opinion right now, though i have to say that screen is gorgeous. It didn't feel bigger or much havier then iPad 2 to me. I do lots of photography and use big photo files from my SLR camera, am sure i will enjoy it.
Btw, am new here
This is what i imagine everyone on Macrumors looks like.