Apple Quietly Releases Fix for Flickering on 24-Inch LED Cinema Display over Thunderbolt [Update: Pulled]

Ever since Apple released its first Thunderbolt-equipped machines earlier this year, reports have been surfacing from a number of users complaining about flickering issues on company's 24-inch LED Apple Cinema Display when used with the new Thunderbolt-equipped machines.

24 inch led cinema display
Apple has apparently quietly released a firmware fix for the issue, although the update has not been publicly announced and its existence appears to have only been revealed to a small number of customers who have escalated their issues through Apple's support systems.

A link (.dmg download) to the firmware update was posted to Apple's discussion forums earlier today, and a number of users who have applied the update have reported at least initial success with addressing the flickering issues. Users report having to reboot their systems and power cycle their displays in order for the displays to function properly after applying the update.

From the description included in the download file:

The 24-inch LED Cinema Display Firmware Update addresses an issue that may cause intermittent display flickering. This firmware will only install on the Apple 24-inch LED Cinema Display when it is connected to a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

IMPORTANT:
This firmware update may not resolve the flickering issue if a Mini DisplayPort extender cable is used.

NOTE:
Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly; disconnect non-essential devices and use only an Apple keyboard and mouse to apply the update.

Full instructions for installing the firmware update are also included in the documentation.

It is unclear why Apple has yet to publicly issue the firmware update for all 24-inch Apple Cinema Display users, and thus users should exercise caution in deciding whether to apply the update and prefer to check with Apple support regarding their specific issues.

Apple introduced the 24-inch LED Cinema Display in October 2008 and officially discontinued the model in July 2010 when Apple consolidated its display offerings with the 27-inch LED Cinema Display as its sole offering. Apple did, however, continue to sell off its remaining stock of 24-inch displays for a number of weeks after the official discontinuation.

Update: Apple appears to have pulled the firmware update without explanation.

Related Forum: Mac Accessories

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

fekimoki Avatar
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.
FFX Avatar
Seriously..

Quite some time? The very longest is 8 weeks! the hardware has only been available since July. In this period of time you've had plenty of opportunity to return the product or have it repaired/replaced by Apple.
They'd rather complain than admit they failed to by AppleCare or didn't think it would cover it.
If you pay 1000$ for a monitor, it should at least work when you get it. I would never buy a product with "Apple Care" why should you pay extra, to get a regular warranty, that products must include by LAW.
kappaknight Avatar

Do you have AppleCare? I took mine in for a loose hinge and they ended up replacing my whole screen assembly cause they noticed it was flickering. Not sure if it got to the root of the problem but the screen no longer flickers.
NY Guitarist Avatar

I have this exact same problem. And apparently so do many others out there too. Just do a search.
jimmy0x52 Avatar
I've had this issue since upgrading my MacBook Pro earlier this year... 23 weeks ago. It's been very frustrating to live with and unpredictable... I didn't take my Mac & Display into the Apple Store, as I figured it'd probably behave itself and waste my time. I'm pleased to hear that some people had their 24" swapped for a 27". Makes me wish I'd taken my set up in and had the same good fortune.

Although I think the fix should've been released months ago, I'm pleased it's now here. I just hope it works!

I called apple help AND took it to an apple store. They treated me like I was lying about it and refused to admit they had a fix or do anything about it.

Glad to see they were lying the whole time. Too bad I sold the cinema display thinking it would never work with my brand new macbook pro. Lost money on the deal too.
jav6454 Avatar

I had the problem. Just go to Apple and complain. I got my screen fixed.