Apple Executives Optimistic About Future of iOS, Expect Tablet Market to Surpass PCs

ipad 2 hand
Business Insider reports on a new research note from Goldman Sachs analyst Bill Shope covering a recent meeting between Shope and Apple executives Tim Cook, Ron Johnson, and Peter Oppenheimer. According to Shope, the executives expressed considerable optimism regarding the future of iOS, particularly when it comes to the iPad. In fact, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook reportedly noted that the company expects tablet sales to surpass PC sales over the next several years.

Shope says, "the company appeared more overtly optimistic on the long-term prospects for the iOS platform than it has been in quite some time."

Why?

For one, Cook said, "he sees no reason why the tablet market shouldn't eclipse the PC market over the next several years," according to Shope's note.

Apple's iPad of course currently dominates that tablet market, and while its share will almost certainly shrink as more competitors come to market, most observers expect Apple to continue to lead the market for years to come.

According to a separate article relating information from the note, Shope reports that Apple is once again touting its preference for an "integrated" ecosystem for iOS over the "fragmented" one it sees for Google's Android platform. Apple's executives reportedly suggest that while the Android approach may yield market share gains over the short term, but the the fragmentation will ultimately weaken the platform and degrade the user experience.

To that end, Apple argues that the true measure of a platform's value should be measured by how well it supports the entire ecosystem surrounding it, and with the company having paid out over $2 billion to App Store developers so far, it believes that it offers the most successful and sustainable model among mobile platforms.

Related Roundup: iPad
Buyer's Guide: iPad (Caution)
Related Forum: iPad

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

ECUpirate44 Avatar
The iPad or any tablet for that matter will never replace my laptop. Typing for an extended time on a touchscreen is just not practical.
leroypants Avatar
Hence the reason for the iPad Keyboard Dock :D or you can use a Bluetooth Keyboard with it.

Yeah, why carry a lap top, when you can carry an ipad, a keyboard dock and a card reading attachment.

I love my iPad just cos its more portable than a laptop and it was awesome at a wedding I went to recently, which I shot the photos for my cousin. I was able to show him & the guests all the snaps like 5 mins after i'd took them on my iPad

I know the feeling, it is completely impossible to do that with a laptop.
theelysium Avatar

I agree for me personally (or until they beef them up) tablets will not replace my computer, but my iPad2 does a great job of replacing my computer on the go. If I need to do some serious work though, it's back to my computer.
INeedAMacBook Avatar
Can't wait to see what iOS 5 does for iPad, especially iPad 2
Andy-V Avatar
I think tablets are great, fun, useful devices. I mean, I love my iPad, but to me, it will never replace my computer. It replaces it in some ways, like casual internet browsing, but if I'm going to do some hardcore word processing or video editing, I'm going to want my laptop there.

This is just it. Tablets should be seen as a complement to laptops and desktops NOT a replacement. Just like laptops didn't replace desktops, tablets simply wont replace laptops. There's room in our lives for all three.
deannnnn Avatar