The main change in iOS 11's lock screen is how the new software deals with notifications and the methods you'll have to go through in finding a push notification you might have missed.
Finding Notifications in iOS 11's Lock Screen
- Awaken your iPhone by using Raise to Wake or tapping the lock button.
- Swipe up from the middle of the screen to find a list of notifications, and continue scrolling for older notifications.
- On any one notification, swipe left-to-right to open it directly.
- Or, swipe right-to-left to "view" or "clear" it.
Accessing the New Cover Sheet
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Swipe down from the top edge of the screen to bring up the all-new Cover Sheet.
- You can interact with notifications as before, and 3D Touch the "x" to clear them all.
- Swipe left-to-right (avoiding notifications) to enter the Today section and find your widgets.
- Back on the notification screen, swipe right-to-left to enter the Camera.
- Swipe up from the very bottom edge of the screen or press the home button to dismiss the Cover Sheet.
Those who purchase an iPhone X later in the year should also note that the redesigned iPhone will house Cover Sheet in its own unique area. When the iPhone X is unlocked, instead of swiping down from the top edge of the smartphone, you'll have to swipe down from the top left ear to bring up your notifications.