Twitter has updated its iOS app with a new in-app camera feature that lets users create their own animated GIFs for posting to the social media platform. The following steps show you how it's done.
- In Twitter, hit the big blue plus button to start composing a tweet.
- Tap the picture icon in the compose window, just above the virtual keyboard.
- Tap the camera icon.
- Make sure GIF is selected below the shutter button.
- Tap the shutter button to create a short GIF or long press the button to record a longer one.
- Use the arrow icons above the viewfinder to set the GIF to repeat from the start or to continually invert the direction of playback for a "boomerang" effect.
- If you're happy with the outcome, tap Use GIF and then tweet your creation. If you'd like to start over, tap Retake.
Note that the feature is iOS-only as of writing, and GIFs created in this way can't be saved to your iPhone – they can only be tweeted.