Vision Pro Q&A: What You Need to Know About Apple's Headset

Apple last Friday launched the Vision Pro, its first new product category in nine years. MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera spent the last several days wearing the Vision Pro and acclimatizing himself to the new operating system, gesture-based control, and feature set.

We asked MacRumors readers what they would most like to know about the Vision Pro, and Dan has a series of answers for those considering a purchase or those who simply want to know more about Apple's new device.

You'll want to watch Dan's video for his full range of answers, but he addresses topics like how much storage space is ideal, how it works when connecting the Vision Pro to a Mac and the Mac's peripherals, what the display quality is like using the headset as a Mac display, comfort and fit over time, the limitations of the passthrough AR view, spatial video, how guest mode works, speaker quality, and more.

Have other questions about the Vision Pro? Let us know in the comments below and we'll address them in a future video.

Related Roundup: Apple Vision Pro
Buyer's Guide: Vision Pro (Buy Now)
Related Forum: Apple Vision Pro

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Siri Integrated Feature

You Can Give Siri a New Name With iOS 18's Vocal Shortcuts

Friday June 14, 2024 4:33 pm PDT by
Apple in iOS 18 added a Vocal Shortcuts accessibility feature, and now that iOS 18 is available in a beta capacity, users have figured out that this option can be used to give Siri a new wake word. With Vocal Shortcuts, you can assign a custom phrase that Siri can understand to launch shortcuts and complete "complex tasks," and one of the shortcuts you can set up is an alternative for "Hey...

filmantopia Avatar
19 weeks ago
My wife and I have Vision Pros, and I can confirm that YES, SharePlay works great in the same location. Everything is near perfectly in sync, and it's preferable for audio if at least one person is using AirPods Pro with transparency on for talking. When you're FaceTiming, an option appears above your other active windows to share.

Also, you'll obviously want to both mute FaceTime... and something neat I discovered is that you can hilariously place the FaceTime window persona on top of where the other person is sitting in the physical space, and when you're both doing that, it will create a realistic representation of where they're looking in relation to you. You can look directly at each other and toward the screen in front of you.
Morod Avatar
19 weeks ago
"I just want to know why it is not for me."
I can give you 3,500 reasons why it's not for me.
Pixelspeeper Avatar
19 weeks ago
I had a demo at my local store, this thing really wow me , it’s the most amazing piece of tech I ever try in my life yet, this is the most exciting thing apple ever released yet, it’s like you have the IPhone, Mac, IPad, AirPod, apple TV and more in one piece of tech, it might not be for the mass public yet, it’s still not perfect, it’s a first generation product, it might feel weird to use in public but if you really into tech, love apple products and don’t mind dumping thousands of dollars on it, trust me you will love it.
Will definitely get one myself, this is truly the feature.
Fuzzball84 Avatar
19 weeks ago

I just want to know why it is not for me.
I think in 3 to 4 years time this device will truly be remarkable and they would likely split it into Pro and Regular offerings, just like with the rest of the device categories. By then I think it will be much better for wearing (more comfortable and less strain on head), and available at a much better price point, for most consumers. I mean it may become so commonplace that it's just like an iPhone... it's just there.. and it becomes a normal.

At that point it will be like what the iPad Air 2 (or even iPad Pro 2018) was compared to the first gen iPad.

In the meantime enjoy the rest of Apples devices, and other tech offerings available from other companies. don't worry about FOMO.... we are all missing out on something or the other ?
Fuzzball84 Avatar
19 weeks ago
Really useful info here... thanks MacRumors.

The more I see video of AvP the more I really hope this category takes off for apple and they do their magic reducing its size, lowering its cost... and getting to a point where the quality of the mixed reality is such that you cannot tell what's real and what's computer generated. I think that would make long term use of it more viable and natural.

I am mostly interested in the media consumption aspect... the ability to effectively have your own private cinema without the space requirements of a traditional setup is just 95% of the devices attraction to me.
filmantopia Avatar
19 weeks ago

Are you FaceTiming with your wife on the couch beside you? ????
Do you understand the point? It's to be able to view content on Vision Pro in sync.