DaVinci Resolve for iPad Now Available on the App Store

Popular video editing app DaVinci Resolve for iPad is now available on the App Store, giving ‌iPad‌ customers access to a popular professional-grade video editing app right on their ‌iPad‌.

davinci resolve for ipad
DaVinci Resolve for ‌iPad‌ was announced in October 2022 and is designed to be optimized for iPads with Apple silicon chips, like the new iPad Pro with the M2 chip and the previous generation ‌iPad Pro‌ and iPad Air, both powered by M1.

Designed for the new ‌M2‌ ‌iPad Pro‌, Blackmagic, the creators behind DaVinci Resolve, says the app will deliver 4x faster Ultra HD ProRes rendering on the new ‌iPad Pro‌ with ‌M2‌, with other similar improvements coming to M1-based iPads.

Compared to DaVinci Resolve 18 software for the desktop, DaVinci Resolve for ‌iPad‌ offers similar functionality and tools, with slight changes in the user interface to better suit the ‌iPad‌. DaVinci Resolve for ‌iPad‌ is available for free on the App Store, with an in-app purchase that unlocks the Studio version priced at $95.

Malus120 Avatar
I like it. A pro app for a pro price w/o a BS subscription (looking at you Capture One…). It even has a decently full featured free mode.

FFS take notes everybody this is how you do a pro iPad app.
BvizioN Avatar

I don’t understand this whole appeal to do video editing on an iPad.
Because it is suitable for Video makers on the move and there is a lot of them. iPad's for me are more travel friendly than Laptops.
hj8ag Avatar

I don’t understand this whole appeal to do video editing on an iPad. You cannot possibly do complex video editing on iPad OS in an effective manner compared to on a Mac.

It’s like telling a car mechanic that the technology exists for them to now be able to change oil using oven mitts and Dixie cups because the tools are more portable! ?
I mean, you totally can do ‘complex editing’ on an iPad.

If you have access to external drives/media, a cut tool, and the ability to export EDLs/XMLs etc. then you totally can.

Finishing is a different story.

But you could definitely do a decent offline cut on this.
SenorWhyMe Avatar
just did my first export 4k 60mbps slog3 A7IV bt2020 4:2:2 works great honestly i can finally work on my ipad pro m1 with better color grading since display is accurate. i have recently been using my m1 mac but external monitor ; this is really helpful do most work on pc or m1 mac and color grading on ipad pro m1

Update
I do not agree with BlackMagic saying edit tab would not fit on the ipad pro especially the 12.9 version. if my 13 inch macbook can do it then so can the 12.9. I hope the add it in the long run

Update found out you can bring up hidden tabs for example Fusion and Edit tab fully working on ipad
pookitoo Avatar
since the iPad Pro 12,9 I'm in love with the form factor and especially the touch feeling when you work. It's more immersive, more creative, hard to explain but like sculpting, you can touch your work, a bit like minority report lol ;) but yes, every time I try to work only on my iPad I feel less productive and a lot of thing seem cumbersome. But I don't lose hope to work only with touch (not for long text but for everything else).

Maybe I'm not the only one and it seem pretty close to have a different way of working rather than a computer , a mouse etc . I need to test Davinci on iPad because I make short film and YouTube video and I'm pretty sure I'm not a big power user who need everything we have on a computer ;) I want a fresh way of working anywhere with touch first device !
yellowbunny Avatar

Super responsive on my mini 6! Limited to HD but that fine for what I would use it for (reviewing clips from Blackmagic camera, compiling selects, super basic grades with client).
Handles 4k braw files with no problem. You can even add custom luts in Files app. Well done Blackmagic!