Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 16 to Developers
Now that the WWDC keynote event is over, Apple has started seeding new software updates to developers. tvOS 16, the newest version of the tvOS operating system for the Apple TV 4K and HD, is now available. tvOS 16 was not previewed at the event, but there is indeed a new beta.
Developers can download the new tvOS 16 beta by downloading a profile onto the Apple TV using Xcode.
tvOS 16 is limited to developers right now, but Apple will provide a public beta of the software to public beta testers later this summer. tvOS 16 is expected to be released this fall alongside iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS 13, and watchOS 9.
Top Rated Comments
[SPOILER="tvOS 16 Beta Release Notes"]
* AppTransaction ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/apptransaction') allows developers to cryptographically verify that the app was purchased on the App Store. (86739279)
* A property environment is included in Product.SubscriptionInfo.RenewalInfo ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/product/subscriptioninfo/renewalinfo') and Transaction ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/transaction'). It represents the server environment in which the RenewalInfo and Transaction occurred, respectively. (85988753)
* The recentSubscriptionStartDate property is included in Product.SubscriptionInfo.RenewalInfo ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/product/subscriptioninfo/renewalinfo'). It represents the date that marks the start of the most recent period of continuous subscription. A period is considered a continuous subscription if there’s no more than a 60-day gap between any two subscribed periods. (86599570)
* The priceLocale ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/skproduct/1506145-pricelocale') property is included in Product ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/product'). Use this property to format price values deriving from the product’s decimal price. (81480683)
* Present the offer code redemption sheet with the offerCodeRedemption(isPresented:eek:nCompletion:) ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/View/offerCodeRedemption(isPresented:onCompletion:)')view modifier in your SwiftUI apps. (85321941)
* The StoreKit Messages API allows you to control when App Store messages are displayed in your app. (85321880)
* PIN-paired devices are shown as discovered devices but aren’t supported. (93993830)
* When establishing connection to Apple Watch, the App Not Installed notification is missing if the corresponding app isn’t already installed on Apple Watch. (93064321)
* When displaying the connection authorization alert on devices, the Apple TV name might appear as “null”. (90062941)
* In SwiftUI the Fallback view for DeviceDiscovery might not correctly render on unsupported hardware. (93933154)
* In the device picker, supported devices might appear flagged incorrectly as “Device not supported”.
* Many additional Bluetooth and USB game controllers are supported by the Game Controller framework on macOS 13, iOS 16, and tvOS 16 and later. (82409809)
* Settings doesn’t show Calibrated after completing Wireless Audio Sync. (91144719)
* Siri might not reliably find and play music that isn’t in your Apple Music library on Apple TV. (94361633)
Workaround: Add music to your library before asking Siri to play it, or search and play it directly from the Music app.
* All StoreKit ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit') APIs are now annotated for sendability and main actor isolation. (84157048)
* Fixed: Using @Environment(\.dismiss) no longer causes a view to be invalidated when the Environment changes. (86771246)
* Network.framework resolved an issue that could cause NWBrowser, NWConnection, NWConnectionGroup, NWEthernetChannel, NWListener, and NWPathMonitor to trigger a retain cycle when various Handler blocks are set. Starting with macOS 13, iOS 16, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16, if software using Network.framework targets these releases as the minimum OS, the object releases any blocks they captured once cancelled, breaking the retain cycle. (89677097)
Workaround: For software targeting older versions, the retain cycle can be broken by setting the handler blocks to nil after canceling the object.
* You can now place a TextField ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/TextField') in an Alert ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/Alert') by using alert modifiers that accept a ViewBuilder ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/ViewBuilder'). (64819930)
* SwiftUI views log to the console [UIFocus] <typename> implements focusItemsInRect: - caching for linear focus movement is limited as long as this view is on screen. (93428139)
* Passing multiple children to a custom Layout fails to compile. (92914226)
* For control, Section ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/Section'), or other views that have a Label ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/Label'), the ViewBuilder ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/ViewBuilder') content now automatically arranges and styles multiple views as hierarchical elements, such as title and subtitle. If the label views are intended to be arranged horizontally rather than hierarchically, wrap the views within an HStack ('https://developer.apple.com/documentation/SwiftUI/HStack'). (85184563)