Gurman: iOS 16 to Feature 'Significant' Improvements to Notifications, New Health-Tracking Features, But No Major Redesign

iOS 16, codenamed "Sydney" and set to be previewed at WWDC in June, will feature "significant" improvements to notifications and new health-tracking features but will not a feature major redesign of iOS, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said today.

iOS 16 mock for article
In his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman writes that he is not expecting a major redesign of iOS but that instead, the next version of iOS will include enhancements to notification and new health-tracking features.

On the iOS side, I'm looking for some fairly significant enhancements across the board, including an update to notifications and new health-tracking features.

I'm not expecting an end-to-end redesign of iOS's interface, even though it hasn't changed much since iOS 7 nearly a decade ago. But there might be a new iPadOS multitasking interface.

Apple will preview iOS 16, alongside iPadOS 16, macOS 13, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16 during WWDC, which will officially be held on June 6 until June 10.

Gurman said today that watchOS 9 may feature "major upgrades to activity and health tracking." No details are known of what macOS 13 will include, including what it will be called. macOS Big Sur featured a major redesign and was followed by a less significant update with macOS Monterey.

Staying on the Mac side of things, however, Gurman did today reiterate that Apple is working on several new Macs, including a new redesigned MacBook Air, a revamped 13-inch MacBook Pro, an updated 24-inch iMac, and a new Mac mini. For a complete rundown of what Apple could announce at WWDC this year, see our detailed roundup.

Related Forum: iOS 16

iOS 17

Apple Sheds More Light on iOS 17.5 Bug That Resurfaced Deleted Photos

Friday May 24, 2024 2:36 am PDT by

fwmireault Avatar
I want a synced Notification Center across all my devices! If I get rid of a specific notification on my iPhone, I want the same notification gone from my iPad and Mac. That is all I need
jbpiv3 Avatar
I hope no redesign means finally a stable release free of bugs… HomeKit is a mess. Siri is a mess. Hoping they are focusing on fixing those things. Having to jump through hoops or figure out what command Siri likes this week is getting really old.
GreenPixel Avatar

This alone would make me happy. Why do I have to dismiss the same notifications on various devices?
Beltane63 Avatar
Please let me set the volume for the ringtone and notifications separately!
dantracht Avatar
I don't necessarily think it needs a massive overhaul. Kinda like it the way it is. Prove me wrong.
brofkand Avatar
They change iPadOS’s multitasking paradigm seemingly every release.