Vivaldi 5.1 Adds Ability to Scroll Through Browser Tabs Horizontally in the Tabs Bar

Vivaldi for Mac received an update today that brings yet more new features to the highly customizable web browser, including a handy way of managing multiple tabs using horizontal scroll.

vivaldi
Most modern web browsers usually handle multiple tabs by shrinking the tabs into smaller and smaller segments to fit them all in on screen, but this can quickly look cluttered and make it progressively harder to identify each tab in the squeeze.

In an effort to avoid this situation, version 5.1 of Vivaldi brings a new Scrollable Tabs feature that lets users scroll through the tab row horizontally to reveal more full-width tabs.

Tabs are navigated horizontally by click-dragging with the cursor, or using the arrows on the left and right of the tabs. Another way to view tabs is to long-click the arrows to get a full list of all open tabs.

The Horizontal Scrolling feature can also be combined with Vivaldi's existing Two-level Tab Stacks option, enabling users to scroll two rows of grouped tabs and take advantage of tab group previews for exhaustive tab management.

vivaldi reading list
In addition to Scrollable Tabs, this version of the browser also brings a new built-in Reading List, a new repository for offline reading that maintains each article's read/unread state, with no service signup required.

Elsewhere, Vivaldi has also added a Quick Settings Panel on the Start Page, enabling quicker access to the full gamut of customizable Start Page options, including things like background images, favorites, speed dials, and search field settings.

Vivaldi browser 5.1 is a free download for Mac available directly from the Vivaldi website, featuring built-in tracking protection, tab tools, a translation feature, Chrome extensions support, and much more.

Tag: Vivaldi

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

applicious84 Avatar

Quite right, too. If only my wife's friend adopted this practise, it would have spared her some considerable embarrassment... I went round her house to fix an issue she was having with her iPad. Safari had loads of open tabs that I duly closed, one by one. Each and every one had a pron site open!
She could have been trying to tell you something
TheYayAreaLiving ?️ Avatar
This will definitely come in handy as I don’t mess around when it comes to Safari tabs.

Current status?

Attachment Image
contacos Avatar
looks neat but I am so "OCD" I never have more than 1 tab open even if I return to the same page 5 minutes later anyway. I know it is stupid, but I cannot help it. It is just part of my routine. Read page X, go read page Y, return to page X to read again and so on
szw-mapple fan Avatar
So basically what Safari has with compact tabs and always show website titles?
LV426 Avatar

AbSoluTc Avatar

How many tabs do people have open at once that would require multiple rows of scrolling tabs? Seriously. I think the most I ever have is MAYBE three or four. I understand that not everyone works like I do, but I would think that if you have two rows that are filled beyond what your screen can show, you can't possibly remember all the tabs that are open, and the effectiveness of tabs gets lost. Just my personal opinion. I can see it being more useful on a mobile browser. But if people are happy with the feature, then congrats to them.
I work in education and there are MANY people with MANY tabs open in MULTIPLE windows!

I have seen users who have 5 Chrome windows with each window having a minimum of 50 tabs each. MINIMUM. People don't want to close tabs for fear of losing stuff they want to read later. I don't think many people have heard of bookmarks/folders lol.

A lot of problems users have are the result of Chrome using all their resources because of the HUNDREDS (no joke) of tabs they have open.

Same applies to their phones! I don't think they realize how many tabs they have open there either.

Don't get me started on desktops... and how they don't clean them. Physically and virtually.

Attachment Image