AirTag Competitor Tile Getting Acquired by Location Sharing App Life360

Tile, known for its range of Bluetooth-based tracking accessories that compete with the AirTag, is being acquired by location tracking service Life360, Tile announced today.

tile amazon sidewalk integration
Tile will continue to be operated as a standalone brand under Tile CEO CJ Prober, but Tile says that when the acquisition is completed, it will be able to leverage Life360's 33 million smartphone users to grow Tile's Finding network by 10x. Tile's network is the equivalent of Apple's Find My network, leveraging nearby devices to locate lost items.

Life360 has what it calls a "family safety platform" that allows family members to keep tabs on one another with tracking software on smartphones. It's primarily used by parents to track their children and teenagers, and it has raised privacy concerns.

With the Tile acquisition, Life360 founder Chris Hulls says that Life360 will be able to provide an "all-encompassing solution" for locating people, pets, and things with cross-platform tracking and combined service for tracking items and people.

Individuals and families will be able to tap into Life360's flagship mobile app, a market leading app for families with features that range from communications to driving safety and location sharing. Additionally, people will be able to seamlessly leverage Tile's bluetooth-enabled finding devices trackers, which can equip nearly any item -- such as wallets, keys or remotes -- with location-based finding technology. Tile's technology is also embedded in over 50 different third-party devices, ranging from wireless earbuds and headphones to laptops to retainer cases to dog collars.

Life360's Tile acquisition deal is valued at $205 million and it is expected to close in the first quarter of 2022.

Tags: Life360, Tile

djcerla Avatar
Two turkeys don’t make an eagle.
kevinws Avatar
My family does and I know many other families the use it also. It is good to keep track of where the kids are.

My wife and I get notifications of when we leave work that way who ever is home can start evening meal.

My daughter who is an adult with special needs loves using it to spy on where mom and dad are.

I get text saying "daddy at work" and similar. I am typically a don't track me my data is mine turn all location off type of guy.

But, then when I get text like that it makes me smile because I know she is checking on me because she loves me and wants to know that I am safe.
4jasontv Avatar
Life360? I wonder why they picked that name. Is it a circle and I will end where I started or is it supposed to be a year but I get a week off?
Hammerd Avatar
Who use Life360??
taize Avatar

We use it as well. Its great for knowing when someone will be home. Our kids have it on their phones and have no problem with us knowing where they are. Even our 18yr old is happy to have it on her phone.

I can see how it can be abused when not used transparently. When used appropriately its a great tool.

Lets hope that Life360 subscribers can get discounts on Tile.
H.E. Pennypacker Avatar

Two turkeys don’t make an eagle.
How so? Tile is still a great product and in some areas superior to apples air tags. life360 is used by families with kids, and tile is widely used across all platforms.

One giant complaint I have with AirTags is the play sound feature is way too quite. I can hardly hear it unless I’m right next to it. Not to mention apple has no solid options for a device to put in my wallet. It’s by no means superior to tile.