iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15 Will Be Released On September 20

iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15 will be released on Monday, September 20, Apple announced today during its "California streaming" event.

iOS 15 General Feature Red ORange
iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 include a number of improvements and features, including redesigned notifications, Focus mode, Live Text, and more. iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15 were previewed in June and have been in beta testing over the summer.

Apple today did not announce a release date for macOS Monterey, given we're likely to see its release later on in the fall alongside new Apple silicon Macs.

Related Roundups: watchOS 10, watchOS 11
Related Forums: iOS 15, Apple Watch

iPhone 15 Pro Cameras

iPhone 17 Pro Max Will Be First Model to Feature Three 48MP Cameras

Thursday July 11, 2024 12:20 am PDT by
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Monday July 8, 2024 5:00 am PDT by
maxresdefault

Apple's AirPods Pro 2 vs. Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro

Saturday July 13, 2024 8:00 am PDT by
Samsung this week introduced its latest earbuds, the Galaxy Buds3 Pro, which look quite a bit like Apple's AirPods Pro 2. Given the similarities, we thought we'd compare Samsung's new earbuds to the AirPods Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Design wise, you could potentially mistake Samsung's Galaxy Buds3 Pro for the AirPods Pro. The Buds3 Pro have the same...
iPhone 16 Pro Front Update Blue

iPhone 16 Pro Rumored to Support 40W Fast Charging and 20W MagSafe

Wednesday July 10, 2024 3:57 am PDT by
Apple's forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will support 40W wired fast charging and 20W MagSafe charging, claims a rumor currently swirling around China. Right now, iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro models are capable of up to 27W peak charging speeds with an appropriate USB-C power adapter, while official MagSafe chargers from Apple and authorized third parties can wirelessly charge...

Sill Avatar
I laughed when they threw the "Privacy" section into the iPhone announcement, but only mentioned two things (on-machine learning for Siri, and something else I've already forgotten) and no mention of the privacy-killing photo scanning they announced last month. I heard thats "under evaluation" and may not ship with iOS15, but I've gotten to the point where I no longer trust Apple.
Archeteo Avatar

No thanks. ill stay on 14
Apple have cancelled the release of iOS 15 because krspkbl is not updating.
krspkbl Avatar
No thanks. ill stay on 14
ghanwani Avatar
Really looking forward to the address bar at the bottom in Safari. I have wanted this all my life.
al256 Avatar

I wonder why I even engage this sort of comment. Probably should stop.

1) If you don't trust Apple's software to do what they say, any conversation about the implications of what they say is pointless.
2) The only "scanning" was to be a local pre-hashing of photos that are exchanged with iCloud. They clearly stated opting out of iCloud Photos will avoid having any local photo hashes "reported" back to them.
3) If apple wanted to look at your photos in the iCloud, they could already. The content isn't encrypted in any way either in iCloud Photos or in iCloud backups. The main reason we think apple wasn't doing this is that Google/FB/Reddit/MS/Discord/Twitter/etc all disclose public numbers on how many accounts they report for hits on these hashes; and they have orders of magnitude more reported users and hence must be regularly trawling all their users' photos.
4) other cloud photo systems compute the same hashing of the photos in their cloud (vs on device).

I don't speak for others but this certainly muddying the point. iCloud backups/photos are accessible to Apple, yes. In their cloud. That's not the problem.

Apple built in hashing on the device to look for illegal content. Its current limitations do not matter to me. I would not read a white paper on cattle cars and how they are only designed to move live stock. I damn well know they can move people too.

The problem for me is, I now have this device which at some point can treat my device the way NSA does with its Utah data center. I'm at a crossroads. I won't upgrade to iOS 15. I may go back to a simple cell phone. I'm not sure. I'm just one person that believes in strengthening civil liberties not eroding them.
mnsportsgeek Avatar
And so begins update season where the endless updates to fix bugs that should have been fixed in the intial release roll in for the next 3 months.