Apple TV+ Epic Saga 'Foundation' Based on Isaac Asimov's Best-Selling Novels Premieres September 24

Apple TV+ today announced that the 10-episode first season of science fiction series "Foundation" will premiere globally on September 24 with the release of the first three episodes, followed by one new episode weekly every Friday.

apple tv foundation
Based on the best-selling novels by Isaac Asimov, Apple says "Foundation" is an epic saga chronicling a band of exiles on their monumental journey to save humanity and rebuild civilization amid the fall of the Galactic Empire.

When revolutionary Dr. Hari Seldon predicts the impending fall of the Empire, he and a band of loyal followers venture to the far reaches of the galaxy to establish The Foundation in an attempt to rebuild and preserve the future of civilization. Enraged by Hari's claims, the ruling Cleons – a long line of emperor clones – fear their grasp on the galaxy may be weakening as they're forced to reckon with the potential reality of losing their legacy forever.

"Foundation" stars Emmy Award nominees Jared Harris and Lee Pace, alongside Lou Llobell, Leah Harvey, Laura Birn, Terrence Mann, Cassian Bilton, and Alfred Enoch.

Apple released a new trailer for "Foundation" alongside today's announcement:

The first-ever on-screen adaptation of Asimov's iconic, award-winning novel series is executive produced by David S. Goyer, who is best known for writing the screenplays to several superhero films, such as "Batman Begins" and "Man of Steel."

"In the decades since the 'Foundation' series first saw print, Asimov's prophetic science-fiction work has never been more relevant than it is now," said Goyer. "Growing up, I devoured 'Foundation' and dreamed of one day seeing it on screen – but a feature film didn't seem big enough to embrace the ambition. Thanks to the broader landscape of streaming and a valuable partnership with Apple and Skydance, we are able to bring the series to the screen in a way that truly does it justice."

Apple TV+ costs $4.99 per month, with a free seven-day trial available.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

owidhh Avatar

Time to re read the books or should I go with low expectations knowing that book adaptations don’t always translate well to big screen. Would be disappointing if they took liberal creative differences on the book content.

Remember I, robot? , wasn’t how I expected it from reading the book.
I have read the books multiple times since childhood. The preview alone tells me this will be quite different.

ON the other hand, paraphrasing a Stephen King quote, "if you want exactly the same story that you read in my books, read my books instead of watching the adaptations". So I'm looking forward to this anyway!
Agit21 Avatar
Now this sounds great. Love Asimov.
Ar40 Avatar
Just inject it into my veins!! This looks friggin incredible.
citysnaps Avatar

In other words, Apple announces that you might as well cancel TV+ until October
Yes...if you're struggling to scrape 17 cents per day for AppleTV+ and have no interest in other AppleTV+ shows, that's what you should do.
Ar40 Avatar

In other words, Apple announces that you might as well cancel TV+ until October
And miss Ted Lasso, Mr. Corman, Schmigadoon, etc? Not a snowball’s chance in hell.

I like watching these shows live too. No spoilers that way.
NotTooLate Avatar

It looks interesting, and I'm a fan of the books, but it's not worth subscribing to ATV to see it.
It doesn't make any sense , if there is a good show or movie on a streaming service then 5$ to watch it seems VERY competitive just for the one show or movie , I think ppl got so jaded about streaming overflow that they don't look at the value proposition anymore , 5$ for one good series ? amazing deal !!! 5$ for 100 **** series ? very bad deal.

I pay for my books , Brandon Sanderson gets my 15$ for most of his books , I read it in a couple of days and I feel that I got my money worth.

TLDR - 5$ is a very cheap price for a good TV show (if it ends up being one of course).