Apple Releases Revised AirTag Firmware Update

Apple today released a new version of the 1.0.276 firmware designed for AirTags, which is a revision to the update that was made available in June.

airtag in hand
The new AirTags 1.0.276 firmware has a build number of 1A287b, while the old firmware had a build number of 1A276d. The 1.0.276 firmware that came out in June added anti-stalking security enhancements, and this new version likely just refines these features.

Because the firmware version has not changed, it is not possible to tell the new firmware from the old firmware in the Find My app, nor will it be apparent when the firmware of the AirTags has been updated.

There is no way to force an AirTag update, because it's something that's done over-the-air through a connected iPhone. To make sure the update happens, you can put your ‌AirTag‌ in range of your ‌iPhone‌, but you have to wait for the firmware to roll out to your device.

You can check your current ‌AirTag‌ firmware version through the Find My app.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

eboychik Avatar
So, we don’t know what it does, we can’t tell if we have it, and we can’t force it to happen. Sounds like it’s worth the wait!
IAmGLaDOS Avatar

what has an Airtag update got to do with Safari ?
You must be new here
iamasmith Avatar
Well, I didn't get the update at all so did I miss a story saying that the previous one was yanked? I put my keys next to my iPhone whilst charging the phone overnight for ages and still no update.
FishyFish Avatar
This is pretty lit! I'm seeing kind of poor battery life on my launch day AirTags (down to 50% of battery already) and I assume this is going to help fix it!
gfurry Avatar
I am waiting for the family sharing update so my airtags will actually be useful to someone besides me. While I appreciate the stalking feature they make airtags infinitely less useful when an item is stolen. If someone wants to stalk you there are 1,000's of other devices already available. It doesn't make sense to alert a thief they are being tracked by an airtag. Please Apple make this an optional feature.
Planetary Avatar
What they call "anti-stalking" I call "pro-thief".
If someone steals my bag I want the tracking to keep working, and I don't want the tag warning the thief that a tag is present, perhaps in a hard to find pocket or even stuffed into the lining. When you buy a product it should be on your side.