Five Mac Apps Worth Checking Out - August 2020
Apps designed for the Mac don't often receive as much coverage as apps designed for iPhones and iPads, which is why we have a series here at MacRumors that highlights interesting Mac apps worth checking out. This month's picks feature productivity and organization tools along with a couple of fun but useful apps.
- Panelicious (Free) - Panelicious lets you organize your files and apps into separate panels, so you can streamline different workflows and make groups of apps and files easier to access. So, for example, if you have a workflow for answering emails that includes an email app, a notes app, and a calendar, you can group those together and then pull up that panel to get right to what you need. Panels can be customized and hidden when they're not needed.
- Tuck ($6.99) - Tuck is an app that lets you dock app windows to the edge of your screen, popping them out when you move your cursor over into the area. Available as a menu bar app, Tuck lets you move windows to the Left, Right, Bottom, and Top of the Mac's screen, keeping apps organized but accessible. Tuck is $6.99, but there's an unlimited free trial available.
- MacDroid ($19.99 per year) - MacDroid is a useful app for those who have a Mac and an Android device. It allows photos, videos, music, folders, and more to be transferred between an Android phone or tablet and a Mac over a USB connection. There's a 7-day free trial, and after that, it costs $19.99 to use for a year.
- Poolside FM (Free) - Poolside FM is a fun little summer app that pairs summer playlists with a classic Mac design. It's a no-frills app from the popular Poolside.fm radio station, which is also available on the web.
- TextSniper ($5) - TextSniper is a simple app that lets you take a screenshot of unselectable text, converting it into typed text that you can use. You can take a screenshot of an image or a PDF that has text, and the app will recognize the text and copy it to the clipboard. The app lives in the menu bar so it's out of the way but on hand when needed.
Know of a must-have Mac app or game that we haven't highlighted yet? Let us know in the comments below and we might feature it in a future video. For more of our Mac app picks, check out our essential Mac apps archive.
There's just about a month to go until Apple holds its annual September event focusing on new iPhone and Apple Watch models. We thought we'd take a quick look at everything that's rumored for Apple's September event to give MacRumors readers a rundown on what to expect when the first fall event rolls around.
The iPhone 14 can probably be described more as an "iPhone 13S" because...
Samsung this week launched its fourth-generation foldable devices, the $1,000 Galaxy Z Flip and the $1,800 Galaxy Z Fold. Though there's no sign of a comparable Apple foldable device on the horizon, rumors suggest prototypes are in the works, so we thought we'd take a look at Samsung's newest smartphones to see what Apple needs to measure up to when a foldable iPhone does come out.
It wouldn't be the month before an iPhone launch without a few back-and-forth rumors, with the latest debate concerning iPhone 14 Pro storage.
iPhone 14 Pro render by Ian Zelbo While research firm TrendForce forecasted that iPhone 14 Pro models could start with an increased 256GB of storage, Haitong International analyst Jeff Pu today forecasted that the upcoming Pro models will continue to...
The launch of the new iPhone 14 is just a few weeks away, meaning millions of iPhone customers will soon upgrade their existing iPhone or perhaps get an iPhone for the first time. Exclusive MacRumors iPhone 14 Pro renders by graphic designer Ian Zelbo Whether upgrading from an older model or this is your first iPhone, we've rounded up a few tips to help you prepare for the next flagship...
Apple plans to increase the prices of iPhone 14 Pro models compared to iPhone 13 Pro models, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Kuo did not reveal exact pricing for the iPhone 14 Pro models. However, in a tweet today, he estimated that the average selling price of the iPhone 14 lineup as a whole will increase by about 15% compared to the iPhone 13 lineup.
In the United States, the iPhone...
This week brought some shocking news for iOS 16 beta testers, with Apple bringing back the iPhone battery percentage to the status bar after a number of years.
Other news and rumors this week included word that Apple has started recording portions of its media event planned for next month to introduce the iPhone 14 and Apple Watch Series 8, claims about iPhone 14 Pro pricing and Apple's...