Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise-Canceling Headphones Now Available for $350

Sony's flagship WH-1000MX3 noise-canceling headphones have been among the best on the market for some time, and this week Sony released its fourth-generation WH-1000XM4 headphones boasting some notable improvements on the previous model.

sony wh 1000mx4
The XM4s feature the same basic design as the XM3s, but are one gram lighter at 254 grams due to slightly larger ear pads and some subtle tweaks to the hinges to improve comfort and sound isolation.

Feature-wise, the XM4s debut Sony's new DSEE Extreme audio processor, which upscales compressed audio files to hi-res quality using the company's latest Edge AI technology. They also boast a new noise-canceling algorithm that claims to analyze ambient noise in greater detail.

In addition, a new Adaptive Sound Control mode lets users create custom profiles in the companion app that will adjust the noise canceling based on location, and new Precise Voice Pickup Technology promises to pick up the user's voice better through the five built-in microphones when on a call.

A big selling point with the XM4s is their ability to connect to two Bluetooth devices at the same time, which is a big plus in our book. Previous models don't support dynamic switching between audio sources, and having to manually disconnect them from your ‌iPhone‌ so that you can connect to your Mac and vice versa feels clunky.

sony wh 1000mx4 white
The MX4s offer the same battery life as their predecessors: 30 hours with noise canceling switched on, and around 38 hours with NC off. Users can also get five hours' worth of charge after 10 minutes connected to a power outlet.

The Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones come in silver and black. Both have a $350/£350 price tag and are available to buy online at Amazon and other electronics retailers.

(Thanks, Steve!)

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Tag: Sony

adóbò láwìn Avatar

AirPods Studio will flush these into the toilet.
blind apple fanboyism at play
Reason077 Avatar

I doubt it.

Although, I wonder if Sony has addressed the horrible cracking issues which plagued earlier models. I have a big head and my XM2s cracked and Sony refused to do anything about it.
I’ve had XM3s for a year and they have proven to be very robust. And believe me, I wear my headphones a lot (8+ hours every day, often even fall asleep with them on and roll over on them etc). I have broken many headphones in the past, but the XM3s can take the abuse!

Quick review after a year:
Very comfortable
Excellent NC
Great battery life and fast charging
Ear pads detach easily for cleaning

Bad points:
“Creaking” sound in hinges which makes them feel cheaper than they should (but let me stress again that this is not a durability issue)
Faint “hissing” noise from the noise cancellation, mainly after long period of use. Only happens when in NC mode.

Other than those two points, my XM3s are damn near perfect. Best headphones I’ve ever owned. Will definitely be checking out the XM4s at some point!
ColdShadow Avatar

AirPods Studio will flush these into the toilet.
Lol
No way
These Sony’s will be the best bt headphones just like M3 was before.
Idioteque_ Avatar

AirPods Studio will flush these into the toilet.
I doubt it.

sinoka56 Avatar

Seriously, why there is no mentions of What type of connections these use? Usb-c???
[TABLE]

[TR]
[TD]USB-C Charging port[/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
adóbò láwìn Avatar

I didn't buy the XM3s due to all the reviews mentioning really bad call quality. Apparently, the voice pickup was so bad people on the other end usually couldn't understand what was said.

Once XM4 reviews are out, if I read that this issue is fixed I'll be buying. If it isn't, then I'll research other brands.
i have no my problems with my M3, they are the best ANC headphones i ever had