What to Expect From Apple's Second Quarter Earnings Results Today
Apple is set to report its earnings results for the second quarter of its 2019 fiscal year at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time today.
The quarter began December 30, 2018 and ran through March 30, 2019, according to Apple's fiscal year accounting calendar.
Apple's guidance for the quarter from January 29:
- revenue between $55 billion and $59 billion
- gross margin between 37 percent and 38 percent
- op. ex. between $8.5 billion and $8.6 billion
- other income/expense of $300 million
- tax rate of approximately 17 percent before discrete items
Apple's guidance suggests that it will report at least its third-best second quarter ever based on revenue:
- 2015: $58 billion
- 2016: $50.6 billion
- 2017: $52.9 billion
- 2018: $61.1 billion
- 2019: $55+ billion
Wall Street analysts forecast that Apple will report $57.4 billion revenue, above the midpoint of its guidance, and earnings per share of $2.36, according to 28 estimates averaged by Yahoo Finance.
What to Look For
- Investors will be looking for iPhone revenue and Greater China revenue to rebound after Apple issued its first revenue warning in 16 years last quarter due to fewer-than-anticipated iPhone sales, primarily in the Greater China region. Wall Street expects iPhone revenue to be around $30.5 billion, according to six estimates compiled by Bloomberg News.
- Any potential commentary surrounding Apple's settlement and chipset agreement with Qualcomm. Apple is expected to release its first 5G-enabled iPhones in 2020 with Qualcomm and Samsung modems.
- Apple's growing services category remains key. Apple's services revenue reached an all-time high of $10.9 billion last quarter, up 19 percent year-over-year. This category includes the App Store, Apple Music, iCloud, iTunes, Apple Pay, and AppleCare. Later this year it will expand to include the Apple Card, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, and Apple News+.
- Apple's stock price has increased by approximately 30 percent since its last earnings report on January 29 and positive results could further support the rally. Many analysts are bullish on Apple, as they believe that Chinese consumer demand rebounded during the quarter.
- Apple plans to provide an update on its capital return program on its earnings call today. Many analysts expect a significant increase of between $50 billion and $100 billion and an increased dividend.
- Apple's guidance for the third quarter of its fiscal year, which is typically its slowest in terms of revenue.
Apple's CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri will discuss the company's earnings results on a conference call at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. MacRumors will loosely transcribe the one-hour call as it occurs live.
iOS 17.2 has been in beta testing for over a month, and it should be released to all users in a few more weeks. The software update includes many new features and changes for iPhones, including the dozen that we have highlighted below. iOS 17.2 is expected to be released to the public in mid-December. To learn about even more features coming in the update, check out our full list. Journal ...
Apple today released iOS 17.1.2 and iPadOS 17.1.2, small updates to the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 operating systems that Apple introduced in September. iOS 17.1.2 and iPadOS 17.1.2 come a few weeks after the release of iOS 17.1.1, another bug fix update. iOS 17.1.2 and iPadOS 17.1.2 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update....
Apple made the first beta of iOS 17.2 available to developers in October. Since then we've seen three more betas, and with each iteration Apple continues to add more new features and changes, many of which users have been anticipating for quite a while. Below, we've listed 28 new things that are coming to your iPhone when the finalized version is publicly released this December. 1. Help...
Apple is ending its credit card partnership with Goldman Sachs, according to The Wall Street Journal. Apple plans to stop working with Goldman Sachs in the next 12 to 15 months, and it is not yet clear if Apple has established a new partnership for the Apple Card. Apple and Goldman Sachs will dissolve their entire consumer partnership, including the Apple Card and the Apple Savings account....
Apple is wrapping up development on iOS 17.2, with the update expected to come out in December. While we're getting to the end of the beta testing period, Apple is still tweaking features and adding new functionality. We've rounded up everything new in the fourth beta of iOS 17.2. Default Notification Sound Under Sounds & Haptics, there's a new "Default Alerts" section that allows you to ...
The release of the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max saw the introduction of an entirely new user-configurable button known as the Action button, and now, MacRumors has seen extensive evidence confirming Apple is planning to include the Action button on the entire iPhone 16 range. Designs and plans for the Action button date back to at least 2021, as the button was intended for release alongside hapt...
Anker's Black Friday/Cyber Week event is entering its final days this weekend, and it's still offering up to 60 percent off sitewide. There are also a few "mystery boxes" that can include hundreds of dollars in savings, if you're willing to risk not knowing what you're buying ahead of time. All of these sales will end on December 3. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Anker. When you...
Apple and Paramount have discussed bundling their TV streaming services at a discount, according to a new report by The Wall Street Journal. The companies have talked about offering a combination of Paramount+ and Apple TV+ that would cost less than subscribing to both services separately, according to people familiar with the discussions. The discussions are in their early stages, and it is ...
Earlier this month, Apple announced that it will finally support RCS in the Messages app on the iPhone starting later next year. This change will result in several improvements to the messaging experience between iPhones and Android devices. RCS will become the new default standard for messaging between iPhones and Android devices, but these conversations will still have green bubbles like...