After first launching direct grocery delivery from Whole Foods to its customers' doors earlier this year, Amazon today has begun a rollout of curbside grocery pickup at Whole Foods locations in Sacramento and Virginia Beach. At supported stores, grocery pickup will be available from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time.

The company explains that Prime members can now download the "Prime Now" app for iOS and Android, shop for items like fresh produce, bakery products, dairy, meat, seafood, floral, and everyday staples, and choose the pickup option at checkout. For orders over $35, customers can choose free pickup in as little as an hour, or pay $4.99 to get it in 30 minutes.

amazon prime now ios
When arriving at a Whole Foods store, the supported locations will now have reserved pickup spots designated for curbside pickup customers. After parking, a Prime Now shopper will arrive and place the groceries in the customer's car "within minutes," and if customers tell the store that they are on their way in the Prime Now app, "groceries will be ready as they arrive."

“Pickup from Whole Foods Market is a perfect option for customers who want to grab healthy and organic groceries at their convenience, all without leaving their car,” said Stephenie Landry, Worldwide Vice President of Prime Now, AmazonFresh and Amazon Restaurants. “A customer can order at 5:00 p.m., pick up at 5:30 p.m., and we’ll have their groceries loaded into their car just minutes after arrival. For an even faster experience, customers can tell us they are on their way using the Prime Now app and groceries will be ready as they arrive.”

Outside of the new grocery pickup feature, Amazon's Prime Now iOS app [Direct Link] offers customers the ability to shop from Whole Foods and other local stores to get their items delivered to their door. In select cities, the app also allows for food delivery from restaurants like Red Lobster, P.F. Chang's, and Applebee's.

Amazon is continuously introducing exclusive features for Prime members into Whole Foods, following its acquisition of the grocery store chain in June 2017. Prime members shopping in the store now have the chance to save on exclusive "Prime member deals" and an extra 10 percent off certain designated items. Members can also opt to ship Amazon orders to delivery lockers located at select Whole Foods stores, and return Amazon orders there as well.

The new feature from Amazon launches in the wake of similar curbside pickup services gaining popularity at retailers like Target, Walmart, and Sam's Club. These stores let customers shop in their respective mobile apps, choose curbside pickup during checkout, and then drive up to the location and wait for a team member to load the groceries into their car, saving time and money on delivery fees.

Amazon says that grocery pickup will be expanding to more cities throughout 2018, and those in Sacramento and Virginia Beach can download the Prime Now app today to start trying out the new service.

Tag: Amazon

gnipgnop Avatar
The benefits for Prime members at Whole Foods are underwhelming. I remember when Amazon originally made the acquisition and everyone was thinking that it was suddenly going to be transformed into a bargain store. Nope! The prices haven't changed much at all, and the "extra 10%" on sale items can be easily manipulated by Amazon so that the actual savings over the course of a year are negligible.
Aston441 Avatar
At this point Amazon owns me and I like it.

Apple had every opportunity to own me. I WANTED to be owned by Apple.

They didn't want me.

They want hip hop loving mindless drones who buy lots of subscription services.

That's not me.
rodgersmc Avatar
At this point Amazon owns me and I like it.

Apple had every opportunity to own me. I WANTED to be owned by Apple.

They didn't want me.

They want hip hop loving mindless drones who buy lots of subscription services.

That's not me.
Hip Hop Loving Drones ('//www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9m-3LGQR-0&frags=pl%2Cwn')
dannyyankou Avatar
As convenient as this sounds, I prefer picking out my food instead of someone picking it out for me.
neliason Avatar
The other day I noticed Honey Nut Cheerios at a Whole Foods. The box proudly proclaims it is made with GMO. I guess this is part of the Amazon change? If so I don’t get it. I can go to Trader Joe’s and be assured they have no GMO ingredients or HFCS. In fact for me Trader Joe’s is the only grocery store where I don’t feel a need to examine every label.

Sales and member discounts are always about raising the prices so you can selectively lower them and make people think they are saving money.
barkomatic Avatar
It depends upon the item. For example, the same brand of orange juice as my local Whole Foods is now a few dollars cheaper than it is at the regular grocery stores in the area. Meat is very expensive compared to a place like Trader Joe's unless its on sale.

I think Amazon eventually wants to combine grocery delivery with dry goods. You'll get your new tablet in the same package as your fish fillets.