Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming watchOS 4 update to developers, one week after seeding the fifth beta and more than two months after introducing the watchOS 4 update at its 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS 4 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 4 features three new watch faces, including a dedicated Siri watch face that displays dynamic information unique to each individual and is perhaps the most significant new feature in the update. There are also new complications for Now Playing and Apple News, and an enhanced Workout app that supports High Intensity Interval Training and new swimming options.

GymKit, a new technology platform, will let the Apple Watch interface with gym equipment for workout data sharing purposes, and the Activity app will offer up intelligent coaching and tailored workout encouragement along with new monthly activity challenges.

Many other small tweaks and changes have been introduced, all of which are outlined in our dedicated watchOS 4 roundup.

watchOS 4 is only available to developers and will not be provided to public beta testers, so non-developers need to wait until the software sees an official release in the fall to try it out.

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 9
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)

nutmac Avatar
Is it me or is watchOS 4 just underwhelming in terms of ideas and news?
Basically it's just a couple af new watchfaces. I have to admit I was hoping for a lot more.
And new watch faces are pretty underwhelming. Siri face has a potential to be very nice but not well executed in the current beta.

I would like:

* Improvements to existing watch faces, particularly two of my favorite faces, modular and utility.
* Automatically switch watch face based on location, day of week, and/or time.
* Smart complication. I don't want to dedicate certain area to certain complication all the time. watchOS should figure out which complication should be displayed based on the context (e.g., if I am listening to music or podcast, Now Playing complication, if I have a timer running, timer complication).
Der Keyser Avatar
Is it me or is watchOS 4 just underwhelming in terms of ideas and news?
wilef Avatar
Is it me or is watchOS 4 just underwhelming in terms of ideas and news?
Agreed, some small refinements, but nothing major.

A couple no-brainers I'd have liked to see:

1. Custom watch faces (let app developers release their own!)
2. Fitbit-like workouts (instead of a handful of prepackaged ones, detect workouts automatically and have a wider variety)
ksnell Avatar

I would like:

* Automatically switch watch face based on location, day of week, and/or time.

Completely agree.

Smart complications/watch faces would be money. I do not need a Stocks complication when the market is closed and I do not need a workout complication when I am sitting at my desk during the day.
Craiguyver Avatar
Is it me or is watchOS 4 just underwhelming in terms of ideas and news?
WatchOS 4 the perfect companion for the equally underwhelming iOS 11
harriska2 Avatar
Agreed. As it is, I have three versions of the Modular watch face installed, and I swipe between them based on situation (at work, out and about, working out).
That's what I do too.