iWatch Reportedly Launching in October with iOS 8 and Curved OLED Touchscreen

Apple's highly rumored "iWatch" smartwatch is expected to launch in October and will run a version of iOS 8, according to a new report from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei.

Balogh-iwatch

Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh

Sources tell the paper that Apple has begun finalizing specs for the device, as it will use a curved OLED touchscreen while utilizing biometric sensors to collect health-related data such as calorie consumption, sleep activity, blood oxygen levels and more, in line with recent rumors.

Apple appears confident of the new product. According to a parts manufacturer, it plans monthly commercial output of about 3-5 million units, which exceeds the total global sales of watch-like devices last year.

The news contrasts a report from Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White yesterday, which stated that iWatch production would begin gearing up this month ahead of a September launch alongside the iPhone 6.

While not much is known about the iWatch's physical features, rumors have suggested the device will come in two separate sizes of 1.3 inches and 1.5-1.7 inches. It is also likely that the iWatch's biometric sensors will work with Apple's new Health app in iOS 8 in order to measure and aggregate health metrics.

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 8
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)
Related Forum: Apple Watch

Chupa Chupa Avatar
Curved OLED just like the mock up displayed?

Seriously, how about just making up a fresh iWatch news icon and stop repeating the same ridiculous concepts over and over. We get the idea already. :)
zedsdead Avatar
After the recent Keynote, it is clear that integration will be the key focus of the iWatch. Apple is making things as seamless between their devices as possible.

And after seeing OSX Yosemite and iOS8 I think Apple is going to hit this one out of the park.
hestroy Avatar
Ugly

Please stop using this picture. I'm already sick of it.
fumi2014 Avatar
I cannot see what the big deal is about this. Yes, it's another new market that Apple will probably dominate if they get the Burberry exec to market it correctly with splashy ads in all the glossy fashion magazines, famous athletes seen posing with them, Jay-Z and Beyonce, Rhianna and all the other 'cool' style icons shown wearing them.

Gimmicky nonsense - what's wrong with conventional watches? What's wrong with conventional books?

Folks, Just ignore me, I'm getting old and crabby. When you get to my age, you're not so easily impressed with some things.
quackers82 Avatar

I have not worn a watch for 16 years, for me they are useless, my phone has a clock so why have something strapped to my arm that does just that 1 task.

Now if it can do other things too for me i might want something strapped to my arm again.

I don't really read books, but my mum who is a heavy book reader has gone kindle because conventional books take over your house to the point where you cannot move for books. So she went digital, also she loves being able to get the 2rd or 3rd book in a series immediately after reading the previous.
ee13lbp Avatar
From my use with OLED screens on samsung devices they have pretty poor performance in daylight. Given that a lot of the use of the iWatch is probably going to be outdoors (exercising etc), it doesn't really seem logical to me.