Twitter has updated its iOS app with push notifications for tweets and ambient notifications for when using the app, along with a new logo and a number of other additions.
What's New in Twitter Version 4.3
- Expanded Tweets: when you view Tweet details containing links to partner websites, you can now see content previews, view images, play videos and more [please note: this feature is rolling out gradually]
- Enhanced experience around selected events with the best Tweets and photos from those involved
- Push notifications for Tweets: choose to receive notifications from people you follow anytime they tweet or retweet
- Ambient notifications: enables you to see brief non-interruptive notifications in the status bar while you are using the app
- Improvements to search autocomplete for users
- Discover: now indicates when new stories are available for you to view
- Tappable avatars that take you directly to user profiles
- Performance improvements
- Support for password entry in app when experiencing authentication issues
- Hungarian language support
- Updated with new Twitter bird
- Many other tweaks, polish, and bug and crasher fixes
Twitter is available free for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]
Top Rated Comments
Because it's utterly wretched compared to 3.x?
Wasted screen estate, poor layout, terrible transitions (no swipe transition when you swipe? FFS), removal of useful shortcuts, removal of translation, considerably worse multiple account support, burying direct messages in favour of the entirely pointless discover tab, inability to copy and paste specific words from tweets...
Literally every single change has been for the worse, and they still haven't fixed any of the things that people actually wanted fixing like missing functionality.
Unfortunately this update does away with two of my favorite nitpicky features: 1) it no longer lists the client from which each tweet is sent 2) it no longer provides a map with location data, only the city name.
Losing these features constitutes a deal breaker for me; I have purchased Tweetbot.
Never installed any update & it works fine for me