Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3
Just over a month after the arrival of the previous build, Apple today seeded registered members of the Mac Developer Program with the third developer preview version of OS X Mountain Lion.
The new version arrives as Build 12A178q, up from the earlier 12A154q version. Changes included in the new version have yet to be discovered, but those with access to the build will undoubtedly be searching for Apple's latest tweaks as the company continues to work on the next-generation operating system.
Apple does list a number of known issues with the current build:
- On systems with FileVault enabled, canceling the restart to the Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 Installer may leave your system unable to present a password dialog at boot time. You can repair the problem by holding down command-R to boot to the Recovery OS and then using Disk Utility to unlock and Repair your volume.
- Installing OS X 10.8 over 10.7.2 or earlier with FileVault turned on may fail
- Pre-Lion FileVault user accounts are not supported in this Developer Preview
- Some Apple menu items such as Restart may not work when a sandboxed app is in the foreground
- iTunes no longer syncs Notes
- Mail's photo browser cannot access the iPhoto library
- Back to My Mac doesn't work for the first 5 minutes after rebooting
- DVD Player may not launch after inserting a DVD on some systems
- Most help topics are unavailable in this Developer Preview
- In the Recovery HD:
- Some icons may be missing
- Network Utility's Lookup pane does not work
- Time Machine restoration via a AFP share does not work
- Restoring from a Time Machine backup via AFP does not work
- Migration from a Time Machine backup that excludes paths such as /System may yield an unusable system
- Brightness settings may change unexpectedly after reboot
- Display brightness may be dim after sleep or reboot
- If Mail is hidden at logout time, it may not be correctly relaunched during a subsequent login but will appear to be running
- Java applets may not work in Safari
- QuickTime screen recordings may produce corrupted videos or cause an exception when run on machines with NVDIA graphics
Apple also appears to be continuing to put a fair amount of effort into getting Game Center up and running on OS X with the new build.
OS X Mountain Lion is Apple's next major operating system version and is scheduled for release in "late summer". The release will offer greater integration with iCloud, as well as a number of new feature including some drawn from iOS.
The European Parliament today voted overwhelmingly in favor of enforcing USB-C as a common charging port across a wide range of consumer electronic devices, including the iPhone and AirPods, by the end of 2024.
The proposal, known as a directive, forces all consumer electronics manufacturers who sell their products in Europe to ensure that a wide range of devices feature a USB-C port. This...
iOS 16 was released to the public three weeks ago with a customizable Lock Screen, the ability to edit iMessages, improvements to Focus modes, and much more. And in the coming months, iPhone and iPad users have even more new features to look forward to.
We've rounded up 10 new features coming to the iPhone and iPad later this year, according to Apple. Many of the features are part of iOS...
Apple today released updated firmware for the MagSafe Charger that is designed to work with the iPhone 12 and later and the AirPods Pro 2. The new firmware is version 10M1821, up from the prior 10M229 firmware. Note that in the Settings app, you'll see a different version number than the firmware number, with the update displayed as version 255.0.0.0 (the prior firmware was 247.0.0.0). The...
Apple on September 23 officially launched the second-generation version of the AirPods Pro, introducing updated Active Noise Cancellation, Adaptive Transparency, improved sound, and more. Right around the same time, Bose introduced new QuietComfort II earbuds with many similar features, so we thought we'd compare the two to see which has the edge.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for ...
iOS 16.0.2 was released last month with several bug fixes for iPhone 14 issues, excessive copy and paste permission prompts, and more. Now, evidence suggests that Apple is planning to release iOS 16.0.3 with additional bug fixes.
Evidence of an upcoming iOS 16.0.3 software update has shown up in MacRumors analytics logs, which have been a reliable indicator in the past.
There are several...
Apple is developing new iPad Pro, Mac, and Apple TV models, and at least some of these products will be released in October, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. However, Gurman continues to believe that Apple is unlikely to hold an event this month.
In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said "the big iPhone 14 unveiling last month was probably it for Apple in 2022 in...
YouTube may make watching videos in 4K quality on the platform exclusive to only YouTube Premium subscribers, according to screenshots posted by users on Twitter and Reddit.
On Reddit (1,2) and Twitter, some users have started to recently notice that on iOS, and presumably across other platforms also, YouTube is now saying that in order to watch videos in 4K, the user must be a paying...
As of October 1, Apple SIM is no longer available for activating new cellular data plans on supported iPad models, according to an Apple support document.
Introduced in 2014, the Apple SIM was designed to allow iPad users to activate cellular data plans from multiple carriers around the world. Initially, the Apple SIM was a physical nano-SIM card, but it was embedded inside later iPad Pro...