Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3
Just over a month after the arrival of the previous build, Apple today seeded registered members of the Mac Developer Program with the third developer preview version of OS X Mountain Lion.
The new version arrives as Build 12A178q, up from the earlier 12A154q version. Changes included in the new version have yet to be discovered, but those with access to the build will undoubtedly be searching for Apple's latest tweaks as the company continues to work on the next-generation operating system.
Apple does list a number of known issues with the current build:
- On systems with FileVault enabled, canceling the restart to the Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 Installer may leave your system unable to present a password dialog at boot time. You can repair the problem by holding down command-R to boot to the Recovery OS and then using Disk Utility to unlock and Repair your volume.
- Installing OS X 10.8 over 10.7.2 or earlier with FileVault turned on may fail
- Pre-Lion FileVault user accounts are not supported in this Developer Preview
- Some Apple menu items such as Restart may not work when a sandboxed app is in the foreground
- iTunes no longer syncs Notes
- Mail's photo browser cannot access the iPhoto library
- Back to My Mac doesn't work for the first 5 minutes after rebooting
- DVD Player may not launch after inserting a DVD on some systems
- Most help topics are unavailable in this Developer Preview
- In the Recovery HD:
- Some icons may be missing
- Network Utility's Lookup pane does not work
- Time Machine restoration via a AFP share does not work
- Restoring from a Time Machine backup via AFP does not work
- Migration from a Time Machine backup that excludes paths such as /System may yield an unusable system
- Brightness settings may change unexpectedly after reboot
- Display brightness may be dim after sleep or reboot
- If Mail is hidden at logout time, it may not be correctly relaunched during a subsequent login but will appear to be running
- Java applets may not work in Safari
- QuickTime screen recordings may produce corrupted videos or cause an exception when run on machines with NVDIA graphics
Apple also appears to be continuing to put a fair amount of effort into getting Game Center up and running on OS X with the new build.
OS X Mountain Lion is Apple's next major operating system version and is scheduled for release in "late summer". The release will offer greater integration with iCloud, as well as a number of new feature including some drawn from iOS.
As previously rumored, the next-generation iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a unified volume button and a mute button, according to leaked CAD images shared in a video on the Chinese version of TikTok and posted to Twitter by ShrimpApplePro.
Instead of separate buttons for volume up and volume down, the iPhone 15 Pro models are expected to have a single elongated button for...
Apple says iOS 16.4 is coming in the spring, which began this week. In his Sunday newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the update should be released "in the next three weeks or so," meaning a public release is likely in late March or early April.
iOS 16.4 remains in beta testing and introduces a handful of new features and changes for the iPhone. Below, we have recapped five new features ...
The iOS 16.4 update that is set to be released to the public in the near future includes voice isolation for cellular calls, according to notes that Apple shared today.
Apple says that Voice Isolation will prioritize your voice and block out the ambient noise around you, making for clearer phone calls where you can better hear the person you're chatting with and vice versa.
A first-generation iPhone still sealed inside its box sold for $54,904 at auction, which is more than $54,000 over the original $599 price tag of the device when it was released in 2007.
The original iPhone was put up for sale by RR Auction on behalf of a former Apple employee who purchased it back when it first came out. Back in February, an original, sealed iPhone sold for over $63,000,...
The iOS 16.4 release candidate version that was provided to developers today appears to hint at a new set of AirPods that could be coming in the near future. According to @aaronp613, the beta features references to AirPods that have a model number of A3048 and an AirPods case with a model number of A2968.
There have been no rumors that new AirPods are on the horizon, and it is early for...
Apple today seeded the release candidate versions of upcoming iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 updates to developers for testing purposes, with the software coming a week after the launch of the fourth betas. The RCs mark the final version of the software that will be provided to the public in the near future. Registered developers are able to download the iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 updates...
Google today began allowing users to sign up to use Bard, its AI-powered chatbot that rivals Microsoft's Bing chatbot. First announced back in February, Bard is an experimental conversational AI service for Google Search.
Those interested in Bard can join Google's waitlist to get access, and some users have reported getting invitation emails just hours after signing up. There are a long list ...
Samsung today kicked off a special "Discover Samsung" event, which will be a week-long savings event focusing on Samsung monitors, smartphones, TVs, appliances, and more. While some deals will stick around the entire week (through March 26), others will refresh every day.
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small...
Top Rated Comments
Please give us an option in system preferences to turn OFF grouping of windows when Mission Control is activated. A simple OPTION would satisfy so many people and would have ZERO effect on all those that negate this request.
If you have 3 windows open in Illustrator and another 3 open in Photoshop and you want to drag an object from illustrator to photoshop, you need to do the following;
1) Click and hold the desired object in Illustrator
2) Hit a hot corner to activate mission control (show all windows, grouped by app)
3) Hover and hold over the group of windows in Photoshop
4) Hit another hot corner to show all windows from within Photoshop
5) Hover and hold over desired open document in Photoshop
6) Let go of the object and it gets pasted in
STEPS 3 AND 4 RIGHT THERE ARE WHY MISSION CONTROL IS A FAILURE.
Expose allowed everyone to go DIRECTLY into the desired open document window of any specific application, bypassing steps three and four. Lion DID NOT make things easier, it made workflow SLOWER.
Write to apple.com/feedback
You spelled 'Nazis' wrong.
Heres how it is in Snow Leopard;
Anyone that knows how to use System Preferences wont find the single extra checkmark any more confusing. The options in OS X change regularly anyway, but Apple has failed miserably to give multitaskers some proper options with Mission Control, that is to say, Expose was fantastic, seeing ALL my open windows ALL AT ONCE by hitting a hot corner gave me the ability to quickly go from Illustrator to Photoshop without hitting any keys or using a trackpad and, this is the big one; without releasing any objects i've selected in Illustrator. Direct drag and drop via Expose is now GONE.
Nobody likes nazies. Unless they are zombies as well.