In support of today's extensive list of software releases, Apple has also pushed out the final public version of Xcode 4.2, now available through Apple's developer channel and on the Mac App Store. Xcode is Apple's package of developer tools for creating both OS X and iOS applications.
What's New in Version 4.2
- Includes SDKs for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and iOS 5
- Storyboards let you design multiple iOS screens, and define the segues among them
- Automatic Reference Counting (ARC) saves you from manually managing retain/release
- iCloud entitlements are automatically enabled for Mac and iOS apps
- OpenGL ES Debugger graphically analyzes your OpenGL scene directly within the IDE
- Apple LLVM compiler supports C++11 features and the LLVM libc++ standard library
- Older iOS Simulators and device debugging symbols are downloaded on-demand
Xcode 4.2 requires OS X Lion and is a free download on the Mac App Store.