AirTags use standard coin-shaped CR2032 batteries, which are designed to last at least a year before needing to be replaced. No one should need to swap out a battery just yet, but when you do need a new battery, it's easy to put in a new one.
CR2032 batteries are common batteries that can be purchased on Amazon for about a dollar per battery, and you can also get them at many retail stores. Once you have a new battery, follow these steps to put it in:
- Press down on the stainless steel backing of the AirTag.
- As you press down, rotate counterclockwise until the cover stops rotating.
- Pull apart the two halves of the AirTag.
- Take out the old battery and replace it with the new battery in the same orientation, which is positive side up. You'll hear a chiming sound when the battery is seated correctly.
- Replace the stainless steel bottom of the AirTag, and make sure the three tabs on the cover align with the slots on the AirTag.
- Rotate the cover clockwise back in place until it stops.