Zoom App Comes to Apple TV 4K With Continuity Camera Support

Zoom has released an app for Apple TV 4K, allowing users to hold conference calls on their television and iPhone or iPad via Apple's Continuity Camera feature. First spotted by Sigmund Judge, the "Zoom - for Home TV" app quietly showed up in the tvOS App Store over the weekend.

zoom app icon
When tvOS 17 was released in September, Apple introduced FaceTime on Apple TV, which takes advantage of Continuity Camera support to wirelessly connect to the user's iPhone or iPad, and leverage the device's camera and microphone to bring participants together on the TV.

Zoom uses Continuity Camera to achieve the same thing, allowing you to connect Apple TV to your iPhone, and then start and join Zoom meetings. The app supports HD video and audio, calendar integration, meeting invites via phone, email, or Zoom contacts, in-meeting chat, and the ability to be assigned to a breakout room.

Zoom users can log into their account in the Apple TV app using their Zoom credentials, or by visiting a pairing URL on their iPhone. Zoom on tvOS requires a second-generation Apple TV 4K or later to utilize Continuity Camera, as well as any iPhone or iPad model updated to iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 for camera and microphone functionality.

(Via AppleInsider.)

Related Roundup: Apple TV
Buyer's Guide: Apple TV (Caution)

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
ios 18 button bulge

iOS 18 Adds Pop-Out Bezel Animation When Pressing iPhone Buttons

Tuesday June 11, 2024 10:40 am PDT by
iOS 18 includes a small but interesting change for the buttons on the iPhone, adding more of a visual element when changing volume, activating the Action button, or locking the screen. When you press an iPhone button in iOS 18, the display bezel bulges outward slightly. This feature is available for the volume buttons, Action button and the power button, and it will also likely be used for...
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by

Bhy Avatar

Does anyone know if I can attend Zoom Webinars where I am not meant to be on camera directly on an AppleTV? There is one monthly meeting that I take from a Mac but watch on AppleTV via Airplay.
So I was hoping this new app would let me just attend a zoom on ATV without an account or camera linked but it does not.

To do what you're talking about (been doing it a few years) I join on my ipad and then use ipad mirroring to the ATV. Works great.
GuruZac Avatar
I’ve used FaceTime with the continuity camera on my ATV and it works amazing. If I worked from home I could see this being a really cool feature. My first year of medical school was during the first wave of COVID and we were Zoom based for the first few months with didactics.
Abazigal Avatar

Based on my testing, you will need to connect your iPhone to your Apple TV via continuity in order to progress past the startup screen on zoom. However, once you are inside, it appears possible to then disconnect your phone and still stay in the zoom session.

Do be careful not to click on either the unmute or video off icon, else, it will bring you to another screen prompting you to connect your iPhone camera again. This thing is seriously calling for either an Apple TV with an inbuilt webcam, or the ability to connect a separate website.
pamon Avatar
but the main ipad app doesn't allow external cameras yet right? they need to add that so external cameras can be supported on iPad's
atsang Avatar

What about users who just want to put a webcam on top of the Apple TV? perhaps one with an privacy blocker. just want to use a usb-c input and not need to use a device. though the new option is great
Could you use an old iPhone? I imagine the cameras on those older ones are still great for webcam purposes.
dmfresco Avatar

Turns out neither of my AppleTVs are gen2. So, we are SOL for the time being. It still works for me to join a webinar with AirPlay.