iPhone 13 Models Support Dual eSIMs [Updated]

According to the technical specifications for the iPhone 13, ‌iPhone 13‌ mini, ‌iPhone 13‌ Pro, and ‌iPhone 13‌ Pro Max, all of the devices include dual eSIM support, which is a feature that's new to the iPhone lineup this year.

iphone 12 and 12 mini
Dual eSIM support means that the ‌iPhone 13‌ models can use two eSIMs simultaneously rather than just one eSIM and one nano-SIM.

Prior ‌iPhone‌ models like the ‌iPhone‌ 12 had dual-SIM support, but only worked with an eSIM and a physical nano-SIM. The ‌iPhone 13‌ models still support eSIM and nano-SIM, but also support two eSIMs for adopting carrier plans without a physical SIM card.

Apple's ‌iPhone 13‌ models will not ship with a physical SIM card this year and carriers will instead use eSIM capabilities for activation. Because eSIM activation is being used for devices connected to a carrier when ordering, a WiFi connection will be needed for setup. From Apple:

Carrier-connected iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro models will arrive ready to activate with eSIM and can connect to your cellular voice and data service without a physical SIM card. You will need a Wi-Fi connection for setup.

To activate eSIM on an unconnected iPhone, please contact the carrier of your choice when you're ready.

Connecting with a carrier later can be done by inserting a physical SIM or contacting a carrier for eSIM activation.

The ‌iPhone 13‌ models will be available for pre-order on Friday, September 17, and will officially launch on Friday, September 24.

Update: Apple has shared a support document with more details on the eSIM, including directions on setup.

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

rjohnstone Avatar
I love using eSIMs. Someone steals your phone, they cannot pull the SIM to prevent you from tracking it.
All they can do is shut it off. The moment it gets turned back on, you got a location. I'll never use a physical SIM card again if I don't have to.
Installing and activating an eSIM was pretty easy with AT&T... not sure about other carriers.
Gave my daughter an iPhone 11 Pro that was unlocked. Didn't have a SIM card in it or any plan setup for it at the time. Just went to the AT&T website on her phone (via WiFi obviously) and had an eSIM installed and activated in about 10 minutes.
ghanwani Avatar
What happens if both eSIMs are activated and you stick in a nano-SIM as well?
whyamihere Avatar
Wonder if I'll be able to call Verizon to switch my number over to the new (paid for in full) 13 Pro eSIM without having to pay their garbage activation fee. If not, guess I'll just take the SIM out of my current phone and put it in the new one as I've always done.
zorinlynx Avatar
This is making me wonder how many years until Apple gets rid of the SIM card slot completely.

I love having a physical SIM for my main line, because it makes it trivial to move my service to a new device if something happens to my phone. If things end up going eSIM only it'll be like the old days of CDMA2000 carriers like Sprint and Verizon where you had to call in to move your line.
esf215 Avatar

Never thought of it that way. I’m still using a physical sim land thinking
About switching . Thanks
OliOliOliOli Avatar

What happens if both eSIMs are activated and you stick in a nano-SIM as well?
??