Apple CarPlay Gains More EV Charging Info Thanks to Integration With ChargePoint

Electric vehicle charging network ChargePoint today announced integration with CarPlay, which adds new EV charging data to CarPlay-compatible cars. Drivers can look up nearby chargers, check station status, start a session, get directions to the nearest station, and more.

carplay chargepoint
For convenience, there are filters that will sort stations based on the speed of the charger, cost, availability, and plug type. The ‌CarPlay‌ app also provides access to a list of favorite charging spots and a join waitlist option when stations are full.

carplay chargepoint app view
To access the new ChargePoint functionality, vehicle owners will need a device updated to iOS 14 or above in a ‌CarPlay‌ vehicle along with the ChargePoint app, which, when connected, will provide charging information on the in-car infotainment system.

ChargePoint is also available through a new ChargePoint widget in the Today View for iPhone that lets drivers locate nearby stations and check real-time charging status, plus it is available on the Apple Watch.

Related Roundup: CarPlay

iOS 18 CarPlay Feature

iOS 18 Adds These 5 New Features to CarPlay

Thursday June 13, 2024 7:44 am PDT by
iOS 18 Wallet Feature

Here's What's New in Apple Wallet on iOS 18 for Event Tickets and More

Friday June 14, 2024 7:32 am PDT by
maxresdefault

First Look at Messages via Satellite in iOS 18

Thursday June 13, 2024 11:29 am PDT by
iOS 18 Siri Integrated Feature

You Can Give Siri a New Name With iOS 18's Vocal Shortcuts

Friday June 14, 2024 4:33 pm PDT by
Apple in iOS 18 added a Vocal Shortcuts accessibility feature, and now that iOS 18 is available in a beta capacity, users have figured out that this option can be used to give Siri a new wake word. With Vocal Shortcuts, you can assign a custom phrase that Siri can understand to launch shortcuts and complete "complex tasks," and one of the shortcuts you can set up is an alternative for "Hey...

1rottenapple Avatar
CarPlay need charger system integration for all EV chargers, not just ChargePoint. Everything from electrify America, EVgo, and all level 3 chargers. They all need to talk to each other as a system as well as the car so you can painlessly navigate long distance and be automatically routed the same way Tesla superchargers are integrated into the nav system. Makes long distance travel seamless.

This would make CarPlay a killer feature for ev.
uasdtf24590345t Avatar
I want the PlugShare app on CarPlay for a start. But as long as every charging network is going to have their own app, they all need to get their apps into CarPlay.
billnye97 Avatar

Do most EVs support CarPlay/android auto? My only experience is with Tesla and they use their own infotainment system. Rivian is another company that comes to mind that is very exciting. I don't think they will support CarPlay. I guess my question is, how many EVs are using CarPlay? Bolt, Leaf?
My Honda Clarity does (it is a PHEV).
12vElectronics Avatar

Other than Tesla, most newish EVs support CarPlay/AA.
1rottenapple Avatar

I think so. I know bmw has CarPlay as well. Wish Tesla had CarPlay ?
Return Zero Avatar
Progress, but PlugShare is still king for finding charging options I believe.