Florida resident Jason Colon was listening to his AirPods while at the gym this week when they started to malfunction, and a white smoke allegedly started pouring out.
According to Colon, he then left the AirPods sitting on a piece of gym equipment and ran to get help, and when he got back, one of the AirPods was charred and destroyed.
"It was already like this. It was already popped. I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage," Colon told a local channel 8 news station.
It appears no one else at the gym was around to see what happened to the AirPod, so it's not clear if the device did spontaneously explode. There have been no prior reports of issues with AirPods, but it is not uncommon for iPhones and other devices to see one off battery issues that can result in fire.
According to an Apple spokesperson, Apple is investigating the incident and will be reaching out to Colon to figure out what happened.