Apple Seeds Ninth Beta of Upcoming tvOS 11 Update to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Apple today seeded the ninth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11 update designed for the fourth-generation TV, just a few days after seeding the eighth beta and more than two months after releasing the first beta during the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Registered developers can download the tvOS 11 update by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C cable and installing the beta software using iTunes.

tvos 11 beta
tvOS 11 didn't receive a lot of attention at the Worldwide Developers Conference because it's a modest update, but according to Apple's release notes, it does introduce a few new features to the operating system.

tvOS 11 brings automatic switching between light/dark mode based on local time, Home screen syncing options that keep multiple Apple TVs in a household in sync, new background modes and notification support, Focus API improvements, custom sound support, network-based pairing and development support, improvements to Mobile Device Management, and more.

The ninth beta of tvOS 11 most likely focuses primarily on bug fixes and other small refinements, as the first eight betas did. Apple's new tvOS 11 update is available for both registered developers and public beta testers and will see a public release this fall.

Update: Apple has also made a new public beta of tvOS 11 available for public beta testers.

Related Roundup: Apple TV
Buyer's Guide: Apple TV (Caution)

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

TimUSCA Avatar
You think the Apply TV 3 had a bad remote!? Wait until you try the 4K remote (which I assume they'll cheap out and use the same remote as the current one). It's terrible. Probably one of the worst remotes I've ever used. It looks nice, but functionality wise(the most important thing), it's bad.

[doublepost=1504201748][/doublepost]Hopefully AirPlay works reliably finally. In iOS 10 as soon as my phone screen locks my AirPlay content cuts off.
Couldn't disagree more. I love this remote. Battery lasts forever, perfect size, and it's a damn trackpad for your TV. I understand it's irritating to pick it up upside down, but I don't care.
Juicy Box Avatar
My kids lost the remote. Don't know where it went. Yikes.
Yea, I wish it had a lost mode on it.
0029937 Avatar
Also does anyone else think the Apple TV remote prior to the current release is the most horrible remote ever? I don't like the feel. My thumb slips and press select instead of direction. It's too seemlessly close to each other. I hope the current remote solves this problem.

dugbug Avatar
agree... I fixed this by adding the wriststrap accessory!

also go tigers
WestonHarvey1 Avatar
Come on Apple TV4K I'm most excited about that. I can't wait to upgrade from 3rd gen. It's getting frustrating to use.
The current remote is utterly terrible and is one of the worst reviewed products in Apple's history. It currently has 1.5 stars on Apple's own site.
69Mustang Avatar
9th beta. Is that a record or something?