Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 3.2.2 to watchOS 3.2.3. The watchOS 3.2.3 update comes two months after the release of watchOS 3.2.2, which introduced bug fixes.

watchOS 3.2.3 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 3
An iPhone running iOS 10 or later is required to download the new software, but it is available for all Apple Watch models.

During the beta testing period for watchOS 3.2.3, no major changes or new outward-facing features were discovered, so watchOS 3.2.3, like watchOS 3.2.2 appears to focus mainly on performance improvements and bug fixes.

watchOS 3 will soon be succeeded by a new version of watchOS, watchOS 4, which was introduced at the June Worldwide Developers Conference.

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 9
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)

Boatboy24 Avatar
Dear Apple: When my watch is sitting at 75% battery, I have more than enough power to get me through a software update. Please remove the requirement to have the watch on the charger. It's a real pain in the arse that brings zero benefit, as far as I can see.
ericg301 Avatar
i hate how long these Watch OS updates take. i hope they figure out a different approach for the next-gen hardware.
Nunyabinez Avatar
I'm more than happy to get performance improvements rather than new features at this point. Not complaining, but sometimes new things to play with come with a cost like eating battery life, or instability.
avanpelt Avatar
Wouldn't the same risk exist with an iPhone or iPad? I'm not required to be plugged in to update them.
With an iPhone or iPad, a user with a computer can plug the iOS device in and restore it from the comfort of their home if an iOS update fails and the device refuses to boot. With the watch, there is absolutely nothing the user can do if the watchOS update fails and the watch refuses to boot. The only option is to send the watch to Apple. They can't even do a restore on the watch in an Apple Store, from what I understand.
Mlrollin91 Avatar
Not true.
I've had my watch for over 2 years now. I can tell you with 100% certainty, previous updates would not download unless I had the watch connected. It said "Paused. Will resume when connected to charger." It was the same message as if you were not connected to WiFi.
Mlrollin91 Avatar
Did you see what I posted above? It no longer has that requirement. My watch update is 80% downloaded, and its on my wrist.
[S][/S]

Edit:
Well it required the charger to install. Normally it doesn't even download if its not on the charger. So maybe it is a sign of things to come.