Mazda is planning to add CarPlay and Android Auto support to its lineup of cars and SUVs according to an announcement made at a launch for its upcoming 2017 CX-5 (via Cars.com).

There's no word on when CarPlay will be added to Mazda vehicles, nor is there info on which vehicles will be the first to support CarPlay, but Mazda spokesperson Jacob Brown said the feature "should be retroactively upgradeable onto all Mazda Connect systems with a potentially minimal hardware addition needed."

CarPlay Dash
Mazda Connect has been available in Mazda vehicles since 2014, which, coincidentally, is the year that Mazda first pledged support for CarPlay. Mazda has been listed as a CarPlay partner since shortly after CarPlay first debuted, but it has yet to release a CarPlay-compatible vehicle.

For a couple of years after CarPlay was announced, availability was highly limited as it required the cooperation of both automobile makers and third-party hardware companies, but as of late 2015, CarPlay availability has expanded rapidly.

Apple's CarPlay platform is now available in more than 200 2016 and 2017 vehicles from a range of manufacturers including Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, and more.

Related Roundup: CarPlay
Tag: Mazda

sfwalter Avatar
Mazda is to CarPlay as Apple is to Desktop Macs
foqus Avatar
Now here it is Aug 9, 2017, and the Mazda CX-5 Build Your Own website still does NOT mention Apple Car Play at all. We are buying a small or mid-sized SUV in about four weeks, and it looks like Hyundai or Honda...Car Play support all over those brands! Looks like you lost another sale, Mazda. Congratulations.
BeefCake 15 Avatar
Off topic:Mazda surprises me they stay around. A recent report in my City (Fairly large) was stating how Mazda was falling behind in the automotive market where they dropped behind Kia recently. In the years past, Mazda was doing great with the Speed Series, but of course this is purely a one eyed observation, but I see less and less of Mazda's on the roadway. And I'm a huge car aficionado that follows the major players, and I don't see Mazda as one of them. Strictly my opinion, even though they make a reliable vehicle.
Not sure if this is specific to a certain market but in the U.S they've been getting plenty of reviews and usually in Top3 and Top5 on multiple car magazines...even the Top Gear guys rave about Mazda's cars all the time.
44267547 Avatar
The dated Carplay design will suit the Mazda dated design.
Make that a date!
639051 Avatar
Sad because they seem interested in The actual experience of driving and make some fun vehicles. The rest offer sporty looks with slush for suspension and anything else.
44267547 Avatar
I love Top Gear. Mazda makes great cars and the Speed 6 is a sleeper car that flies. And as far as falling behind Kia, to what extent and exactly how that's measured in terms of sales, I don't know. If I can locate that article, I will post it. And Mazda also has a smaller line up compared to Toyota and Honda, which can contribute to seeing less of what actually is on the roadway today.