Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 9.2.2 to Developers

Apple today provided developers with the first beta of an upcoming 9.2.2 update to tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 9.2.2 comes one week after the public launch of tvOS 9.2.1, a minor update focusing on bug fixes.

tvOS betas are more difficult to install than beta updates for iOS and OS X. Installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a beta profile has been installed on the device through iTunes, new beta releases will be available over the air.

apple-tv-4th-gen
As a minor 9.x.x update, tvOS 9.2.2 is likely to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements to address issues discovered since the release of tvOS 9.2.1, and Apple's release notes do say the update contains bug fixes and security improvements. Any outward-facing changes found in the tvOS 9.2.2 beta will be included below.

Related Roundup: Apple TV
Buyer's Guide: Apple TV (Caution)

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

Michael Goff Avatar
I am still looking for fix to the bug that requires a cable subscription to use the Apple TV :D
Tim, don't pretend. You know exactly what I am talking about -- FIX IT.
Wait. You need a cable subscription to use non cable services on the ATV?
Michael CM1 Avatar
Cuban, I just hope you understand that it's not Tim holding this back. It's providers and channel-owning companies really, really not wanting to yield any power. They make a ton of money off us paying so much for using so little. I'm also waiting for something like an ESPN package for $10-$15 per month, but it takes time for the subscribers to slowly go away from cable/satellite and for the people who own the channels to see that our money is also good.
2457282 Avatar
Tim, don't pretend. You know exactly what I am talking about -- FIX IT.
Michael Goff Avatar
my big grin was an attempt to clarify that I was oversimplifying the problem. But clearly I failed as you missed the snarkiness in my comment.

There are apps for CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, etc that are available on AppleTV, but to use them you need to login to your Cable subscription to use the applications. Which is totally non-intuitive since people that have a cable subscription and a cable box wouldn't really need the ATV. Apple needs to work out the deals that would allow users to establish subscriptions outside of cable companies, otherwise there is no true cord cutting. This is the bug I am referring to, even though it is a service contract bug and not a software bug.

As I stated, Tim know what I am talking about and there have been hints rumors coming out that this will be addressed for years and yet nothing.

Hope this clarifies what I stated previously.
Maybe the ATV isn't a good solution for those people? I doubt we are going to get an Ala Carte solution through Apple anytime soon, if at all.
justperry Avatar
There is a way to update without connecting the Apple Tv!
I have a profile installed, no need to connect it to a Mac, it updates OTA.
2457282 Avatar
Wait. You need a cable subscription to use non cable services on the ATV?

Hope this clarifies what I stated previously.