Netflix Allegedly Testing Spatial Audio Support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max

Netflix is working on adding support for the spatial audio feature built into the AirPods Pro and the AirPods Max, according to a report from French site iPhoneSoft.

spatial audio netflix

Image via iPhoneSoft

The site says that it spoke to an unnamed Netflix employee in the United States who said that support for spatial audio is in the works.

The rumor has not yet been confirmed by another source as of yet, but iPhoneSoft says that the feature is set to launch in the spring with a "small catalog" of titles to begin with.

Spatial audio is an ‌AirPods Pro‌ and ‌AirPods Max‌ feature that brings movie theater-like sound to Apple's earbuds and headphones, making audio sound three dimensional. Spatial audio uses the gyroscope and accelerometer in the ‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌ and iPhone to track the motion of your head and your ‌‌iPhone‌‌'s position, comparing the motion data and then remapping the sound field so that it stays anchored to your device even as your head moves around.

It is a feature that works with the ‌iPhone‌ and the iPad, so if Netflix is indeed working on support, it would be limited to Netflix titles viewed on one of Apple's compatible iPhones or tablets.

Tag: Netflix

iPhone 16 Pro Max Generic Feature 2

5 Biggest Changes Rumored for iPhone 16 Pro Max

Tuesday May 21, 2024 7:29 am PDT by

moabal Avatar
Apple really needs to come up with a way to offer this feature on the Apple TV.

Obviously turning your head while watching on your Apple TV would not do anything as the device is stationary. However, if they can have it so you get the surround affect at a fixed point in front of you, it would make the viewing experience better.
Squuiid Avatar
Oh my, this would be awesome.
apparatchik Avatar

I honestly wonder how many people use AirPods / Powerbeats Pros with their AppleTVs. I'm know its something we test for and all, but I just get the feeling the subset of people who do this is really really tiny.
I dont know how many we are, but to me its now my default way of watching TV, the sound is better than my TV's audio, and I dont bother other people, I share an apartment with my gf, and as we both work from home nowdays, its so much discreet, etc.

For me it just makes sense. When just one person is watching TV, to be respectful to others and use headphones, specially if you live in an apartment, your neighbors, roommates, significant other, etc. Dont have to deal with a TV sounding in the background, and you can listen to political content, or guilty pop music, or blast thru a FPS without everybody around you knowing what music you like, what game you're playing, etc.

The days of people studying or working or sleeping in their bedroom while TV sound coming as a muffled soundtrack from the living room are over thank god. To me this has been perhaps the greatest benefit of truly wireless earphones and the strongest use case why Im considering buying the airpods max instead of a sound bar for the TV, to have great sound quality on the living room without blasting everybody around me.
cmChimera Avatar

I do pretty often, when I’m watching tv before my partner wakes up, or after they fall asleep.
Kkspire Avatar

I use my airpods every night watching tv. Other half is sleeping as this allows me to continue watching tv without waking anyone.
Tsurisuto Avatar
This would be awesome! I only experienced Spatial Audio with Disney+‘s The Mandalorian, and I was super impressed!