Apple Watch Estimated to Reach 100 Million Lifetime Shipments Soon Despite Weaker Demand Last Quarter

Apple Watch continued to lead the smartwatch industry with an estimated 5.2 million shipments worldwide in the first quarter of 2020, well ahead of Huawei, Samsung, Fitbit, and others, according to research firm Canalys.

apple watch close up
Canalys said the Apple Watch did see slow performance in North America and Europe during the quarter, however, which it attributes to Apple customers "switching their attention to AirPods as a 'must-have' accessory." Apple's market share declined to an estimated 36.3 percent for the quarter, down from 46.7 percent in the year-ago quarter.

Huawei trailed in second place with an estimated 2.1 million shipments and 14.9 percent market share for the quarter, followed by Samsung with an estimated 1.8 million shipments and 12.4 percent market share.

canalys watch 1q20
Canalys expects lifetime Apple Watch shipments to reach 100 million units within the next few months, five years after the device launched.

Apple does not provide a breakdown of Apple Watch sales in its earnings reports, so take these estimated figures with a proverbial grain of salt. Apple's "Wearables, Home and Accessories" category did set a new all-time revenue record of $6.3 billion last quarter, including sales of the Apple Watch, AirPods, Beats products, Apple TV, HomePod, iPod touch, and both Apple-branded and third-party accessories.

Related Roundup: Apple Watch Series 8
Tag: Canalys
Buyer's Guide: Apple Watch (Caution)
Related Forum: Apple Watch

CarlJ Avatar
Yep, another Apple failure, totally doomed, nobody will buy it.
cmaier Avatar

Still a disposable watch as no way to replace battery.
Some years of use and it becomes a piece of trash.
Apple and various repair shops can replace the battery.
Slothosaurus Avatar

If I can't replace the battery by myself I consider it disposable.
And as seen in this tutorial, no way most of Apple Watch owner will follow these dangerous and difficult steps: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Watch+Battery+Replacement/41080
So you are saying its disposable without being able to replace the battery yourself, and then post a guide to replacing the battery yourself?
Justin Cymbal Avatar
Apple definitely did a great job with the Apple Watch! It’s definitely the best smart watch out there and as far as fitness goes, it’s definitely the best for keeping people healthy!

I have the fifth generation Apple Watch and it works great! I use it every day when I go for walks around my neighborhood with my dog
djcerla Avatar
And it’s only the beginning. I struggle to see how people will NOT wear life-saving devices ten years from now.

Still a disposable watch as no way to replace battery.
Some years of use and it becomes a piece o trash
You managed to achieve a perfect 100% false score.
cmaier Avatar

If I can't replace the battery by myself I consider it disposable.
The fact that "you consider it disposable" does not make it so.

I consider cars useless unless they fly.
I consider bacon useless unless it has negative calories.
I consider smartphones useless unless they have socketed CPUs.

See how that works?

There are many devices in the world that don't let the user easily replace batteries themselves. That doesn't mean they are disposable - it just means that there is a maintenance procedure that is better performed by professionals.