Tim Cook Named to President Trump's American Workforce Policy Advisory Board
The U.S. Department of Commerce today announced the 25 members of the Trump administration's new American Workforce Policy Advisory Board, including Apple CEO Tim Cook and IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.
The advisory board's recommendations will help guide the National Council for the American Worker's efforts to establish a strategy to ensure that American students and workers have access to "affordable, relevant, and innovative education and job training that will equip them to compete and win in the global economy."
The board, co-chaired by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and Advisor to the President Ivanka Trump, is expected to help address a "skills crisis" due to the rapidly increasing use of technology, automation, and artificial intelligence that is shaping many industries across the United States.
The full list of members:
- Jay Box, President, Kentucky Community and Technical College System
- Walter Bumphus, President & CEO, American Association of Community Colleges
- Jim Clark, President & CEO, Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Tim Cook, CEO, Apple
- Tom Donohue, CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Juanita Duggan, President & CEO, National Federation for Independent Business
- Elizabeth Goettl, President & CEO, Cristo Rey Network
- Marillyn Hewson, Chairman, President, & CEO, Lockheed Martin
- Eric Holcomb, Governor, Indiana
- Barbara Humpton, CEO, Siemens USA
- Al Kelly, CEO, Visa
- Vi Lyles, Mayor, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Bill McDermott, CEO, SAP America
- Sean McGarvey, President, North America’s Building and Trades Unions
- Doug McMillon, President & CEO, Walmart
- Craig Menear, Chairman, President, & CEO, Home Depot
- Michael Piwowar, Executive Director, Milken Institute
- Scott Pulsipher, President, Western Governors University
- Kim Reynolds, Governor, Iowa
- Ginni Rometty, Chairman, President, & CEO, IBM
- Scott Sanders, Executive Director, National Association of State Workforce Agencies
- Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., President & CEO, Society for Human Resource Management
- Jay Timmons, President & CEO, National Association of Manufacturers
- Sheree Utash, President, WSU Tech
- Marianne Wanamaker, Professor, University of Tennessee
President Trump established the National Council for the American Worker in July 2018 to "create and promote workforce development strategies that provide evidence-based, affordable education and skills-based training for youth and adults to prepare them for the jobs of today and of the future."
Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.
Unidentified governments are surveilling smartphone users by tracking push notifications that move through Google's and Apple's servers, a US senator warned on Wednesday (via Reuters). In a letter to the Department of Justice, Senator Ron Wyden said foreign officials were demanding the data from the tech giants to track smartphones. The traffic flowing from apps that send push notifications...
iOS 17.2 has been in beta testing for over a month, and it should be released to all users in a few more weeks. The software update includes many new features and changes for iPhones, including the dozen that we have highlighted below. iOS 17.2 is expected to be released to the public in mid-December. To learn about even more features coming in the update, check out our full list. Journal ...
Recently, MacRumors has received details on the battery currently being tested on the upcoming fourth-generation iPhone SE, and the information corroborates previous findings in relation to the device. The iPhone SE 4, known by its device identifier D59, is expected to use the exact same battery found in the base model iPhone 14. Partially assembled prototypes of the next iPhone SE have been ...
Best Buy's month-long holiday sale continues this weekend with multiple all-time low prices on Apple's line of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air computers. In addition to Apple notebooks, Best Buy's event has discounts sitewide on home appliances, TVs, video games, and more. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive...
Apple appears to have closed the loophole that Beeper Mini used to bring iMessage to Android, putting a stop to blue bubbles from Android devices. Beeper Mini quit working earlier today, with users receiving "failed to lookup on server: lookup request timed out" error messages. Beeper said on Twitter that it is investigating the issue, but Beeper CEO Eric Migicovsky told TechCrunch that "all ...
Apple's iPhone 15 lineup came out in September, and while most reviews are done shortly after a new device launches, we like to follow up with a longer term review that gives us an opportunity to provide a deeper dive into what it's like using these phones on a day to day basis for months. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera has been...
To boost falling iPad sales, Apple has a major refresh planned for the iPad lineup in early 2024, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Apple plans to debut new iPad Air and iPad Pro models, both of which will feature notable changes. The iPad Air will come in two sizes like the iPad Pro for the first time. The smaller model will continue to measure in at 10.9 inches, but the larger version...
Anker has launched its newest holiday sale, this one offering a special deal every day in the lead-up to Christmas. These sales offer up to 50 percent off select products, and include discounts on USB-C chargers, portable batteries, and much more. Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which ...