Dozens of Popular Apps Still Don't Natively Support iPhone X, But Updates Are Coming Soon
One of the minor disadvantages of buying an iPhone X early is having to wait for developers to update their apps with support for the smartphone's taller display. Many popular apps were updated within a few weeks after the device launched, but over four months later, there are still some notable omissions.
MacRumors recently asked our readers to share their favorite apps that have yet to be optimized for the iPhone X display. Then, we reached out to the developers of each app to ask them if and when they will release updates with iPhone X support. We've included comments from every company that responded below.
Apple did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
- iTunes Connect
- iTunes Remote
- Beats Pill+
- AirPort Utility
- Music Memos
Google said it does not have anything to share at this time.
- Google Authenticator
- Google Analytics
- Google Admin
- Google Street View
- Google Wifi
- Google Cloud Console
- Inbox by Gmail
- Chrome Remote Desktop
Microsoft confirmed it is working on updating its remaining apps to be optimized for the iPhone X, but it did not provide a timeframe.
- Microsoft Remote Desktop
- Microsoft Solitaire Collection
- Office 365 Admin
Banking and Finance
- Chase — "We constantly evaluate changes in the market while listening to customer feedback and regularly update our mobile app based on that feedback. Watch for an update in the near future."
- TD Canada — "The next release of the TD mobile app, expected later this month, will be optimized for the iPhone X display."
- National Bank of Canada — "The app will be updated for iPhone X in the coming months."
- ANZ goMoney Australia
- Barclaycard — "We've recently made changes to our app in support of the Face ID feature and we're planning further enhancements to the visual experience to amplify the iPhone X display capabilities."
- Domino's — "It will be updated in one of our upcoming app updates. I don't have an exact date."
- Pizza Hut — "Pizza Hut is currently developing numerous app enhancements, including optimizing the iPhone X display and other capabilities offered by the phone."
- Taco Bell
Sports and Gaming
- NBC Sports — "It will happen soon."
- PGA TOUR — "We are updating our app on March 20 to support the new iPhone X format."
- Candy Crush Soda Saga
TV and Media
- NPR News — "We will have an update for iPhone X for the NPR News app on April 2."
- NPR One — "The update for NPR One will come later in the summer."
- The Economist
- Amazon Alexa — "The Alexa app will be updated and optimized for iPhone X display in the coming weeks."
- Linksys — "The update for the Linksys app for iPhone X will be rolling out in the next few days."
- OpenVPN — "We are currently developing a new iOS app that will support iPhone X. It will tentatively be released end of April."
- HipChat — "HipChat will not be updated for the iPhone X but Stride will be soon."
- Harmony Control
Airlines and Travel
- Hotels.com — "We will be releasing our update to better support iPhone X shortly."
- Virgin Airlines
- Air France
Apple recently announced that, starting April 2018, all new iOS apps submitted to the App Store, including universal apps, must support the iPhone X display. The rule doesn't apply to existing apps.
A YouTuber has put Apple's claims for the durability of the Apple Watch Ultra to the test by putting it up against a drop test, a jar of nails, and repeated hits with a hammer to test the sapphire crystal protecting the display.
TechRax, a channel popular for testing the durability of products, first tested the Apple Watch Ultra by dropping it from around four feet high. The Apple Watch...
As we approach the end of a busy product release season for Apple with only new iPads and Macs left to be announced over the next month or so, we're also setting our sights on 2023. Apple is rumored to have several major products in the pipeline for next year, including new Macs, a new HomePod, a VR/AR headset, and so much more.
Other than new iPhones and Apple Watches, which are expected...
An Apple Watch Ultra user has modified their new device's casing to add a brushed finish and remove the orange color of the Action Button in an effort to make it more visually appealing.
The Apple Watch Ultra offers the first complete redesign of the Apple Watch since the product line's announcement in 2014, and while the design has been met with praise from many users, some have criticized...
Today marks exactly two weeks since Apple released iOS 16 to the public. Besides the personalized Lock Screen, major changes in Messages, and new features in Maps, the update has also seen its fair share of bugs, performance problems, battery drain, and more.
After major iOS updates, it's normal for some users to report having issues with the new update, but such reports usually subside in...
Earlier this month, Apple announced that iOS 16.1 will enable a new Live Activities feature that allows iPhone users to stay on top of things that are happening in real time, such as a sports game or a food delivery order, right from the Lock Screen. On the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, Live Activities also integrate with the Dynamic Island.
Premier League match in Dynamic Island via Paul Bradford ...
iPhone 14 Pro customers on the Verizon network in the U.S. are reporting issues with slow and unreliable 5G cellular connections and calls randomly dropping.
Several threads on Reddit (1,2,3) and the MacRumors forums chronicle issues faced by Verizon customers and Apple's latest iPhone. According to user reports, signal strength on the iPhone 14 Pro is unreliable and weak, while other...
Apple may decide to release its remaining products for 2022, which include updated iPad Pro, Mac mini, and 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, through press releases on its website rather than a digital event, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. In his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman said that Apple is currently "likely to release its remaining 2022 products via press releases,...
The most recent beta of iPadOS 16.1 expands the controversial Stage Manager feature to older iPads, allowing it to work with iPad Pro models that have an A12X or A12Z chip, according to information Apple provided to Engadget.
The beta also removes the external display support from Stage Manager for the current time, with the feature set to return in a later iPadOS 16 update. Apple's...
Apple today released new betas of iOS 16.1 and iPadOS 16.1 to developers, tweaking some of the functionality that's been introduced in prior betas and in the case of iPadOS 16.1, adding a major new feature to Stage Manager.
We've rounded up everything new in both betas below.
Apple has updated the Wallpaper section of the Settings app to allow users to swap between...
Apple Watch Ultra has been endorsed by American musician and famous watch collector John Mayer, who has been showing off the new device on his Instagram account.
"Been wearing the Apple Watch Ultra for a week... and it's great," writes Mayer over a photo of the watch. "The first Apple Watch that excited me as a mechanical watch collector." "It's loaded with capability and what I call...