Apple today announced the launch of a new LivePhotosKit JavaScript-based API that's designed to make it easy to embed Live Photos taken with Apple's latest iPhones into websites.

livephotosdev

This new JavaScript-based API makes it easy to embed Live Photos on your websites. In addition to enabling Live Photos on iOS and macOS, you can now let users display their Live Photos on the web.

Introduced alongside the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in 2015, Live Photos are designed to add life and vitality to the standard still photo by adding a bit of motion. A Live Photo captures an extra 1.5 seconds of movement before and after a shot, animating an image with movement and sound.

Live Photos can be captured using the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, SE, 7, and 7 Plus, and can be viewed on all devices running iOS 9, OS X El Capitan, and watchOS 2 or later.

Though Live Photos have been around since 2015, few social networks support them, and there have been limited ways for non-Apple users to view them. The addition of a LivePhotosKit API may help make Live Photos more popular.

D.T. Avatar
My girlfriend took photos of her newborn nephew and was showing them off to family members and they were adoring the photos. Then she 3D Touched one photo and the baby boy came to "life" with sounds of him babbling and someone actually wowed and said that was amazing.

I couldn't have rolled my eyes any harder. I told my girlfriend she can keep 3D Touch and Live Photos, I'll stick to my superior OLED display.
So a family member had a better experience due to the technology, but you rolled your eyes and said some display hardware was better ... I see.
nrose101 Avatar
All I see are negative comments about live photos. Guess what you don't like them. DONT USE THEM. I personally love the feature!
jasonklee Avatar
Live photos, probably the most gimmick of an iPhone feature ever.

jasonklee Avatar
Another one: My father passed away last summer and recently I visited my brother and we got to talking about our old man and how much I missed him and I still have dreams of him and I wake up feeling sad. My brother showed me a photo he took of him shortly before he died, on the sofa, looking out the window. Then my brother 3D Touched it and in the Live Photo my father turns, notices the camera, and waves and smiles.

I looked up at my brother and sighed and told him what a gimmick Live Photos are and how Apple needs to think of better uses of their technology.
Sefstah Avatar
Live photos, probably the most gimmick of an iPhone feature ever.
btrach144 Avatar
I'm shocked at how many people think live photos are worthless.

My child is constantly on the move, and live photos helps to capture how active she is. Considering our family members live far away, this neat feature helps to bring the pictures to life.

To each their own :)