Mojang today announced a significant new update for Minecraft Pocket Edition. The update promises numerous graphical enhancements and bug fixes and is the first major update to the game since the Stockholm-based developer was acquired by Microsoft for $2.5 billion back in September.
Today's update to the game focuses mainly on bug fixes, but there are a few notable additions to the popular block-building game as well. The 0.10 update adds gold mines into Mesa biomes, a day and night option for playing in Creative Mode, and more options for fences and gates.
Prettier water, fog, and lighting effects round out the graphical overhaul features of the 0.10 update. Mojang also promises improved performance on many devices the game is available for, a fix for the bug where baby animals could not swim, and the tease of "lots more cool stuff that you can discover for yourself."
0.10 - Prettier, faster, less buggier
We’ve improved the graphics, increased performance, and killed off heaps of bugs in one massive update. We’ve also stopped baby animals from sinking when they try to swim because that’s just mean. Update and have fun!
- Loads of bug fixes!
- More watery-looking water
- Foggier-looking fog
- Even more particles than before
- Tinted lighting on terrain and mobs
- Improved performance on many devices
- More fences! More fence gates! Everyone loves fences
- Gold mines in Mesa biomes. Get rich quick
- Baby animals can now swim without sinking
- Play Creative Mode during both the day and night
- Lots more cool stuff that you can discover for yourself
Though the initial launch of the iOS version of Minecraft was met with skepticism due to its large lack of parity with desktop versions, numerous updates such as today's have gotten Pocket Edition closer and closer to its PC and console counterparts.