The Television Academy this weekend announced the winners for the 2014 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, recognizing the technical side of television in honoring the outstanding "behind-the-scenes crafts essential to television production." Apple was among the winners announced during a ceremony held Saturday night in Los Angeles.

Apple, along with Park Pictures production company and TBWA\Media Arts Lab ad agency, was awarded an Outstanding Commercial Emmy for its holiday "Misunderstood" advertisement. In the commercial, a family participates in a traditional Christmas celebration while a younger member records all of the activities on his iPhone. Chided for being on the sidelines, the misunderstood teen delights his family at the end of the commercial with a heart-warming montage of the holiday celebration streamed via AirPlay to the living room television.

The award was shared with Apple's longtime ad agency, TBWA\Media Arts Lab, which allegedly now has a rocky relationship with the Cupertino company. Emails from Apple's head of marketing Phil Schiller hint at discord between the ad agency and Apple's executives following a scathing criticism from The Wall Street Journal. A more recent rumor suggests Apple is ready to sever its ties to TBWA/Media Arts Lab, with Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine stepping in to help spearhead the company's future marketing campaigns.

Meandmunch Avatar
It's a rock solid ad because it both connects emotional with the audience and subtle demonstrates an array of iPhone capabilities.
Milese3 Avatar
Wow, I sort of overlooked that advert before. But now I look at it, it's very touching. Congratulations, Apple.
GoCubsGo Avatar
Having Beats incharge of anything seems like a massive mistake to me. I guess so long as Beats has nothing to do with Apple's computers or iOS devices, or any softwares besides the music related ones, I'm okay, though. Apple doesn't really need me to like their ads, since I'll buy their products anyways (so long as they remain the best).

Well, I guess if you're going to miss the point of the article then this is the best way to do it. This ad came before the Beats deal; it is unclear if you knew that.

As for the ad, it is probably the first Apple ad in a long time that I actually cared to pay attention to. It was "hallmarky" as someone mentioned, but it was done well...even better than when it was done on Community. ;)
psac Avatar

Spot on. The best ads make a connection AND highlight the product. This does both in an amazing way. Loved it when it was on air.
jonnysods Avatar
Wow, never saw that before, just watched it and got tears in my eyes. Love family moments like these. Life is very precious!
citi Avatar
New Apple with Beats will need new ad agency.
Less class, more 'hood and affluent gangsta raw, like Mr Drek. :apple: